Author Topic: Weight of 32  (Read 7522 times)

needfull

Weight of 32
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:00:29 PM »
Does anyone know the weight of the 32?

Thanks in advance
Terry

<<and has anyone replaced the runners inside the doghouse for the sliding hatch down the companion way.>> 
Moved this question to a separate topic: http://www.alohaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=121.0
Keith

querbach

Re: Weight of 32
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 01:26:11 AM »
Does anyone know the weight of the 32

The design weight is 9800 lbs, though the number 10660 is also pencilled in on the drawing on the main Aloha 32 page.  When we had China Girl hauled last November (with water and holding tanks empty and the fuel tank about half full), the lift operator said she weighed 11000 lbs.  I have no idea what the precision or accuracy of that measurement is, though.

I'd be interested in knowing what other A32's weigh, as there was a hint in an earlier posting that there was some variation.

Regards,

David Querbach
A32 #22, China Girl

gibby

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:28:21 AM »
It's an interesting question. I've a sneaking suspicion that mine weighs a lot more. I often board a C&C 32 which is supposed to be just about the same weight but it is so much more prone to motion when walking on the side decks. Question: does the stated weight exclude the engine?
I met Mark Ellis and asked about the weight and he said no two are alike since production controls were pretty loose. Ted Jenkins who owns one and is a marine engineer and surveyor says they can be heavier by thousands of pounds. Anyone else out there who has had their 32's weighed??

Gibby
Elixir

LHSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 02:57:06 PM »
This is not an answer, but a means thereto that I've yet to try.  A colleague of mine has an instrument that could survey the shape of a boat hull out of the water with a high degree of accuracy in a few minutes.  (Do not try this at home; the instrument and software would set you back more than the price of a new Catalina 34).  Software can easily turn shape into volume, and produce a table of volumes for elevations near the usual water line.  If a particular hull were marked at short vertical intervals above and helow its usual water line elevation, you could tell its displacement at any time by observing the elevation of the waterline on the boat.

I've thought about doing the same thing using architectural lines, but I suspect that the accuracy is not sufficient to give meaningful results over the range of interest.  And I've always wondered how well molds match the designer's lines....

SRL

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:36:47 PM »
Regarding the weight of the 32, The published weight is 9800lbs. which is the drawn weight that Mark Ellis gave to the design. The actual weight could vary +/- 10% hopefully on the+ side or the lay up may have inadequate resin. the weight is calculated with only basic equipment standard to the boat and empty tanks.
Most people don't realize that a fiberglass hull will absorb water over time. I don't mean osmotic blisters but there is a certain amount of water that is absorbed. I have just completed a new bottom job where the hull below the water line was peeled and allowed to dry for 5 months. The hull was checked with a moister meter every couple of weeks until it was bone dry. I did have osmotic blistering in certain areas especially in the forward sections toward the bow up near the water line but that wasn't what made my decision. It was the fact that over the years (1984,hull# 35) I kept raising my water line indicating that I was getting heavier. I plan to launch the boat this weekend and will have it weighed but because of all the equipment I've added over the years I will never be able to accurately compare the current weight with the design weight. The real test will be to see where the water line is now and how responsive the boat handles.
In any event each 32 will weigh in differently as a result of age and equipment. I hope this information helps.
SRL   32#35

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »
Reviving an old tread today.

After a season on the hard for a refit I launched Elixir V last weekend. Yippee!
Having read through most of this forum over winter time the topic of boat weight had me intrigued.
Our club has a new Conolift travel lift which weighs boat quite accurately.
My Aloha 32 came in at 11500 lbs. That was the highest number reached while I watched the screen as she was launched.
This puts her at 117% of design weight which is right in the ball park of 15-20% over than I sort of expected.

Has anyone else has their Aloha 32s weighed lately?

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »
I suppose I should add to my previous post.
The boat was nearly empty at the time.

No water or waste in the tanks. About 1/4 tank of fuel. The kerosene tank was 1/2 full.
No cushions, pots or pans, plates. No mast, no sails or lines and nothing in the drawers or lockers. I didint even have any beer on board yet!

Only a small tool box, 2 sets of wrenches and a drill ect. One 10KG anchor with no chain.

During the refit I was continually impressed with the build of the boat. The hull is sure thick in places. I did measure where I could but that's a different topic.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:59 PM »
Its haul out season.
Don't forget to ask your friendly crane/travel lift operator how much your 32 weighs.
I'm curious to compare.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
Its launch season!
Don't forget to ask your friendly crane/travel lift operator how much your Aloha 32 weighs.
I'm curious to compare. :)

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Well my A32 came in at 11300lbs this year.
Kinda interesting compared to the previous number because I expected it to weight slightly more. She is still mostly empty but had a pile of tools and such on board this spring. Although the stove was gone..
Interesting stuff.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V