Author Topic: Aloha 32 mast rake and tuning.  (Read 2227 times)

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Aloha 32 mast rake and tuning.
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
Hey everyone,
As I've only recently got the stick up(due to a damaged forestay) I'm about to set the initial tune of the stays.
I'm interested in a starting point for mast rake to achieve a balanced sail plan. (yes my sails are original and bagged out)
I'm also new to fore and aft lowers. I presume the forward lowers are only a little more than hand tight, the aft ones do the work?

All tips are appreciated
Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Re: Aloha 32 mast rake and tuning.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Also,
I'm curious as to which of the three clevis pin hole options are being used for the forestay? My sprit has three options for and aft. I'm assuming the aft two could have originally been used for the sail tack.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
Re: Aloha 32 mast rake and tuning.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
This thread has info as to "initial tension": http://www.alohaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=475.0;wap2

I set mine to these values and then adjust the leewards a bit when close hauled (also described in the thread).
For rake I adjusted until the mast fit the plastic ring that seals it to the deck collar. The mast looks pretty much vertical but the boat does not sit on the factory waterline so I'm not sure what the rake would actually be. I compared to two other A32's at our club and they seemed the same.
Sailing, I get as much weather helm as I'd expect.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32