Alohaowners Forum
November 21, 2017, 11:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of the sloppy rudder bushing repair - A32  (Read 397 times)
SailorGuy

« on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »

I'm currently in the process of repairing the slop in the lower and up rudder bushings of my 1987 Aloha 32. The lower "bushing" is actually not a bushing at all and is just a fiberglass tube. The upper bushing is a plastic material that screws into the floor of the cockpit by the wheel. The top bushing had wore out and it was .020'' over the size of the rudder stock (the shaft the rudder turns on). I ordered a 4'' x 12'' round piece of Delrin (like nylon, but better) for the replacement bushing to be made out of. It is at the machine shop now and I'm waiting to get the new bushing back which will be .003'' over the size of the rudder stock.

For the lower "bushing" I will use West systems epoxy repair method. You can find information on this by searching online for West System's Fiberglass Boat Repair manual. The process consists of mixing colodial silica, graphite powder, and the west systems epoxy and creating a mixture that has a viscosity similar to mayonnaise. After dropping the rudder, three to four holes need to be drilled around the outer circumference of the lower rudder stock housing and through these holes the epoxy will be injected with syringes. Prior to this, the rudder stock must be coated in a mold release agent/wax to prevent gluing the rudder in place (I really hope this does not happen....). Re-install the rudder and now you are ready for the epoxy injection. After injecting the epoxy you need to break the rudder free frequently after the epoxy has begun to harden.

I am still waiting for the new upper bushing so I have to start the lower bushing repair with epoxy, so I will post pictures on this threat as the project continues

* 1.jpg (21.04 KB, 107x142 - viewed 71 times.)
SailorGuy

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

More Pictures

* 2.jpg (19.63 KB, 121x91 - viewed 118 times.)

* 3.jpg (23.08 KB, 162x121 - viewed 51 times.)

* 4.jpg (22.94 KB, 162x121 - viewed 53 times.)
SailorGuy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »

More Pictures....

* 5.jpg (19.33 KB, 121x162 - viewed 48 times.)

* 6.jpg (20.47 KB, 121x162 - viewed 40 times.)

* 7.jpg (23.41 KB, 162x121 - viewed 44 times.)
SailorGuy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »

and more pictures....

* 8.jpg (21.62 KB, 121x162 - viewed 48 times.)

* 9.jpg (12.01 KB, 162x121 - viewed 46 times.)

* 11.jpg (24.16 KB, 162x121 - viewed 47 times.)
SailorGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »

This forum would not allow me to post the pictures in their original sizes and they are a bit hard to view now. If anyone would like better pictures, just send me your email and I will email them over to you.

Also, for the Delrin rudder bushing material, I ordered it from international plastics online. Delrin is a superior choice over nylon because it will not swell with moisture. The 4'' x 12'' round piece of Delrin stock cost me $65 plus $15 in shipping.
Holdech

S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »

How did the epoxy injection work out? Curious how you did this as I've tried injecting thickened epoxy with a large syringe and it didn't work so well. I ended up tapping and screwing in grease nipples and using a grease gun to get the epoxy completely in the cavity. Grease gun is essentially a "one shot" as I couldn't get it cleaned out sufficiently to use again (despite running a litre of acetone through it).

Also interested in how smooth your steering is. Ours is hard with any pressure on the rudder or when motoring. I'm thinking possibly the udder shaft is bent slightly.

Chris
cverra

S/V Windover, Belleville Ontario.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »

Did this very thing to my rudder stock about three years ago. Worked great. One thing we noticed when disassembling was that the old upper bushing was only screwed in place. We drilled and through bolted it with backing plate for a more solid install. Smooth as silk now. Another tip, when you have let the epoxy/graphite mixture harden in the tube, remove rudder stock and carefully hone out a tiny bit of material using a drum and fine sandpaper on a drill. When you re-install you can put "lip balm".....yeah, the stuff in the little twist tube you buy at a convenience store, to lubricate. Works great. Three years of regular use and she still is as solid as she was day one.

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
SailorGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

Chris, sorry for the long delayed reply. I finally finished the rudder repair job and the results were excellento. Initially,  the rudder was very tight and I had to hone out a little of the cured epoxy to get the rudder to turn smoothly. Your rudder tube may just need honed out if you didn't do that after the epoxy injection. I'll eventually post pictures of my finished repair job if I can get this site to work properly
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: