Alohaowners Forum
September 23, 2017, 09:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rudder to keel alignment in the A32  (Read 67 times)
SailorGuy

« on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »

I noticed that my Aloha 32's rudder is not in line with the keel. I recently had the rudder out and I verified that the rudder shaft is not bent. The rudder is about 10-15 degrees out of line with the keel if it is viewed from the stern  (kicked out to port). Is this part of the Aloha 32 design or was this boat built incorrectly? The previous owner of 21 years said the rudder alignment was like that when he bought the boat.
Jeff.

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »

Very interesting. Now I'm curious about my boat. I will have to look at haul out next month.
I spent quite a bit of time underneath putting a new bottom on and did not notice any mismatch. I'll be sure to chime in at the end of october.
Jeff

Aloha 32 Elixir V
Bruce

sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »

I think you have an oddity.  My 32 which I bought from the factory has a rudder that is in line with the keel, although initially, the rudder was 2 inches lower than my shoal draft keel.  I had to trim 3 inches off the bottom to make the keel the lowest part of the boat.  The big question is does this issue effect the boat handling?  If not,  what is the problem?   Bruce

Bruce,  OKAGA, A32
Holdech

S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »

It's interesting as I was wondering the exact same thing. Our rudder is off by a couple degrees relative to the keel.
As for handling, I'm not sure what is "normal" as there is pressure on the wheel under power and on a number of tacks - which is probably normal.

I was worried about a bent rudder shaft as it takes a lot of effort to move the wheel when the rudder is under load. By "under load" I mean that the boat is sailing pretty much hands off but close hauled. It takes a lot of effort to move the wheel plus it feels "jumpy". Bearings are smooth and lubricated, chain is free and lubricated etc. It seems the effort and jumpiness is when the rudder shaft moves.

My thinking is that the upper bearing is worn and allowing excessive side loads between the lower tube and rudder shaft.

The wheel moves quite free and smooth when docked/anchored or sailing downwind.

Thoughts?

Chris
Holdech

S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »

PS. We have four A32's (including ours) at our club. When we haul at the end of October I will cast a critical eye at all of them and report back the results.

Chris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: