Author Topic: Aries windvane on a A32  (Read 3783 times)

SailorGuy

Aries windvane on a A32
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:11:36 AM »
I'm intending to install a wind vane self-steering unit on my A32 and I had in mind a monitor, but I found a great deal on a Aries windvane in good condition with wheel adapter for $850 which is about half of what I would expect to pay for a good monitor unit. My question is how well will this Aries windvane work on a A32? It looks like the mounting points on the monitor are better for the stern configuration. Have any of you used an Aries vane on an aloha?

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Re: Aries windvane on a A32
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
I cannot speak about Aries, but I had an Autohelm windvane mounted on the aft rail, connected to the autopilot.   It worked quite well with steady winds but struggled with gusts and was not gimbaled to compensate for heel on a beat.  It is important to have the rig properly balanced to provide a midships helm setting, ie. little weather or lee helm.  Its placement was not idea as a lot happens around that stern railing and in my case the vane got bent. Auto helm had gone bankrupt by that point and could not be replaced.  Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
Some related info if you're interested.
This Aloha 32 has traveled far and wide with its Cape Horn wind-wane.
https://www.wright-photo.com/meriah3.htm#three

This units has a more simple and elegant look in my opinion. It can be installed off center if required. I'm sure it will cost more than 850 however..

Good luck.
Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
SailorGuy - are you planning a long trip on your A32?

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

SailorGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply and thank you for your input. I love the look of the cape horn wind vane but I cringe at the thought of putting a hole through the transom on the install. I like the Aries but I'm suspecting that it would not mount well to the reverse transom configuration of the A32. The monitor seems to be the way to go but they sure are pricey.

Chris, I am planning to go on an extended trip if everything falls into place as I hope and if I don't meet some girl who convinces me to stay in the states. The earliest I figure I can leave is fall of 2019. I would like to sail down to the Caribbean, but lately I've been giving serious thought to crossing the Panama canal and then venturing out into the Pacific. It's all really a matter of a large enough cruising fund and when the boat maintenance is all done. I still have to replace all the sails and rigging (both standing and running, it is all original)

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Be sure to stay in touch.
Our plan (and as fluid as yours) is to head south "till the butter melts" in 2020.
Thinking of island hopping in the Carribean but always curious about Panama after following "Whitespot Pirates" on Youtube.

For now, Lake Ontario will have to suffice (and so will hard" butter") lol.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Geoff Ralling

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
I have not seen an Aries on an A32.  I have seen several with the Cap Horn and that's what I installed on mine.  You might want to consider it although it's more expensive.  I chose it for 2 reasons.  You can mount it off-center and leave all the rails, ladder mount etc in place and still useful.  It works just fine off center.  Secondly, all the moving parts and lines go below the sole and are out of sight and out of the way.  So it is a very tidy installation.
It does take some courage to cut the hole in the transom, but it is well above the water line and the edges are tidied up with sealant.

I could send pics when I get back to my boat in South Carolina in July?

Geoff
Aloha 32
Be Faithful 2
Hull #8 1982

Nexthop

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »
This sounds really great.  Replacing standing rigging sounds like a good idea.  Are you doing anything other
modifications, like water tight bulkheads, or changes to the hull/deck joint etc if you are planning for the Pacific?

SailorGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
Geoff,

I just came across a Capehorn windvane in my marine for sale 2 boats down from me. It would be immensely helpful if you could give me some information about measurements and fitting, I'd like to purchase it asap before it gets sold ($800!). It is on a Pearson 30 and I'm concerned about the length of the horizontal tube. I measured the length of the large diameter tube that goes through the stern and it measures 18" end to end (I did not measure the inner shaft length). If you could give me a call, I'd greatly appreciate your input. 330-720-5389  Chris

SailorGuy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »
Chris,

Hopefully I will see you down south sometime! I am also stuck on the great lakes for now, but it will do for the time being. I've been kicking around the idea of heading to the south pacific actually after reading "Across Islands and Oceans". Keep me posted on how your trip planning is going.

Chris

SailorGuy

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:01:46 PM »
Nexthop,

So far I have not planned any major hull modifications or additional bulkheads. I may make some storm shutters for the aft large port windows, cut holes in various places to access areas for storage, beef up the sliding companionway hatch, replace the drop boards and companionway framing in favor of hinged doors and maybe make a fuel can rack for the deck.