Author Topic: Hey Jeff. Calling Elixrir V...  (Read 2543 times)

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
Hey Jeff. Calling Elixrir V...
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
Been enjoying your posts on Facebook and Instagram.

So now that you have some “Caribbean cruising” miles on Elixir I’m curious how well everything is working out? Solar, power in general, water, dinghy, etc.  Are you finding the A32 big enough?

Lots of questions lol. But hoping to address as many issues as I can before heading south next summer?

Speaking of next summer, are you planning to head back or press on to the leeward islands for hurricane season? I spent a few weeks on a boat in Saint Martin before Christmas and the leewards are so unlike the Bahamas. Many are way less expensive too (including boat parts and storage).

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Re: Hey Jeff. Calling Elixrir V...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
Hey chris,
Sorry for the delay in replying on the other thread, I guess I don't have much spare time...  :)
I finally answered your last electrical question in the sailing south thread.
I'm wondering if we ought to rename that thread something like, 'preparing an A32 to sail south' and keep the technical conversation going there?

As for having some cruising miles under the keel. Yes you sure do notice the little things that work and don't. I keep saying by the time we get home this boat will be perfectly setup to cruise the bahamas!  :P

My notes on water consumption have not changed, we have no issues. Water is readily available and usually free and of good quality(many places have reverse osmosis water)

We came across a highfield 8'6" aluminum bottom dinghy and we could not be happier. It is shorter than I though I would want but it fits easily on the fordeck and with its oversized tubes it has a large volume inside and keeps us much drier than other dinks. We have a 6hp two stroke Yamaha. We can sometimes plane with two people.

We fine the A32 to be a perfect size for the two of us and occasionally four, albeit the right two guests and for the right length of time.

We are now on our way back north, we reached the sea of Abaco a few days ago. Many of the friends we made down here are headed further south. I'm not sure I'd want to motor into the trades for a month to get there though..
We can only really afford one season south so that's what we're doing. It's a long long ways to go for a season, and it sure has its ups and downs, but overall is totally worth it!
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
I agree, let's keep the technical stuff in that thread.
Glad it's all working out. The reason I asked about the boat size is that "two-foot-itis" (actually 4 or 6 foot) keeps creeping into our minds.
The then reality, as in $$$$$$$, bring us back to our current boat.

We have cruised for three weeks at a time (anchored out for most of it) all around Lake Ontario and had a great time.

Anxious to head south...
Chris, Teliki, A32

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
We met Chris and Debbie on Windover several times going down the ICW. Naturally we visited each other boats to check thenm out. We both have the non v-berth model. They have their boat setup differently. Due to chris' tall stature they sleep forward in the salon, the settees are slightly longer than the quarter berths, and keep the beds made all day. This obviously cuts the cabin in half.
They mentioned they feel the boat is small. I suspect that is one of the factors.
We find its a great size. Perhaps if we were going away for years or open ended we would like something larger. But then all you end up doing is carrying more stuff. Not to mention everything is more expensive when you pay by the foot. There are still a number of under 30' boats down here.
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
We tent camped all over North America for decades and then trailer sailed for ten years. To us, the Aloha is still huge lol.

Ours is the V berth model which allows us a dedicated "bedroom" up front and not having to re-purpose the salon every night and morning.

But ask me again after we've been full time cruising for a year or more lol.

Chris, Teliki, A32

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »
Hey all,
Just for fun I thought id revive this thread for those preparing to cruise south.
When we got home in June last year we made a list of changes, mostly small, that we wanted to make to the boat.
We review it recently and couldn't remember half of the items. Good thing we wrote them down!
Here's the unaltered list.

Enlarging galley utensil draw, for longer items. 
Purchase stove pot holders 
Raise the bimini spreader bar, so I can stick my head out to see while docking and such
New quarterberth mattress , the dream
Furling line tripping hazard at aft end of side deck
Dinghy lift tackle to short
Improve cockpit table support 
Engine noise insulation 
Galley basket forward of stove  
Check starboard water tank vent 
Relocate holding tank vent, yuck! 
New cockpit cushions 
Companionway bug net 
Fender board 
Heat reflector behind fireplace , wood burns apparently