Author Topic: Rebedding Aloha 28 Port Lights in Head  (Read 49 times)

will

Rebedding Aloha 28 Port Lights in Head
« on: April 28, 2024, 06:26:36 PM »
As part of my hurricane season refit I wanted to rebed the port light of the head in my aloha 28.

When I took the old port light off I figured the space between the deck and headliner inside the head would have core, instead it was empty and filled with old sealant.

I wanted to rebed with butyl tape and need to have some material to screw fasteners into so as to squeeze the butyl tape. The other thing I don’t like about the current setup is this empty space allows for a lot of flexing and causes gaps in the sealant allowing for water ingress.

I measured the gap between the outside skin and inside skin and at its  narrowest it’s about 1mm (at the bottom of the port light) and it’s widest  it’s about 3/8 of an inch (at the top).

I was thinking of filling the narrow  part with thickened epoxy and for the wider top parts putting in a marine plywood core coated with epoxy and clamping it.

Then use fairing epoxy to close the gap between the skins.

That should give some sturdiness to the windows and a place for me screw some fasteners in.

I’ve attached some pictures to help clear up what I mean.

I wanted to ask how other people have solved this problem and if this is common on other aloha 28s?

I want to rebed he cabin port lights as well and I’m wondering if it will be the same, they feel more solid and there’s fasteners on them.

Best,

Wil

will

Re: Rebedding Aloha 28 Port Lights in Head
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 06:28:46 PM »
Here are the pictures

JimInPB

Re: Rebedding Aloha 28 Port Lights in Head
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 10:40:47 PM »
I don't have the same size boat as you, so I don't know exactly which portlights you have.  That aside, I will make a general comment about rebedding them.  Opinions vary.  Butyl tape is one option that some people favor.  Others prefer a flexible sealant that sets up, like Sikaflex.  In either case, a common concern is being sure to have a thick enough margin of sealant to allow for the movement that will occur when temperatures change & dissimilar materials expand different amounts.