Author Topic: Aloha 28, how far?  (Read 6966 times)

ecaz

Aloha 28, how far?
« on: March 07, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
I just bought a 1973 28' Aloha, and am in the process of re-rigging it, etc.. but as just a general question, how far have you taken your Aloha 28?

Thanks =)

Dennis

Re: Aloha 28, how far?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
HI There,
Welcome to the fold of Aloha members,.
Have you registered with our web msater?

There are Aloha 28's on the west coast of Canada and the US, there are a couple on the lower east coast of the US. Sure they may have been trucked there at some tiome but there is no reason why they couldnt have been sailed there on their own keels. Personally I have'nt been that far but I think it's just comfort of the skipper and crew that dictates the distance not the boat.

Where are you located? How far do you want to go?

Dennis

ecaz

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
St. Pete, Florida.

Not sure how far, but it would be a solo sail...

hargadoo

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I don't have a 28, but have an Aloha 27. I took it as far as 80miles west off the coast of vancouver island last november --  I was too stupid to realize that it isn't a blue-water cruiser. I was using the boat to fish for halibut.  Sound little boat, but you're gonna get beat up by the weather.

ecaz

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »
=(

But you lived!

ecaz

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of the Coconut Milk Run =)

Alohalani

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:53:36 AM »
There is a fellow who owns an A28 from Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada.  He has sailed his to the Caribbean and back and used it for as a live-aboard for about 2 years.  His only problem that was reported to me was the shortage of tankage for water. 

This can obviously be resolved by adding extra tankage or perhaps even a small watermaker, wind generator and/or solar panels.

Hope you enjoy your Aloha 28 as much as I did mine.  I sailed mine mostly on the western end of Lake Erie for about 5 years before I stepped up to the Aloha 34.  Since that time, I have cruised all of the Great Lakes except for Superior.... it's on the list of things to do.

Regards

Perry Basden
s/v Alohalani A34 #233
Windsor, Ontario

ecaz

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »
Excellent, thank you!