Author Topic: Mast-Painting the mast  (Read 6356 times)

Wunderlust

Mast-Painting the mast
« on: April 28, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
Any good tips

Our mast (black, like most Alohas) has many scratches. We want to paint the mast (urgent, before the boat is launched). A few friends recommended to paint the mast (after sanding) with a paint designed for metals such as ''Krylon''.

I think that the procedure is more complicated than just sanding and painting with a metal paint like ''Krylon''

I would appreciate your experience.

Thanks a million
Bill Smith
A27 Wunderlust

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
Re: Mast-Painting the mast
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:24:28 AM »
Last year I simply touched up the nicks and scratches on my boom with a flat black rust paint using a small artists brush - it looks fine.
My spreaders were in rough shape however, and just yesterday I lightly sanded them and painted over everything with the same paint.  There are slight brush marks remaining so I'll likely sand and put on a 2nd coat, possibly with a spray paint.
If there was a way you could just paint the scratches on the mast that may be your easiest way out.
Let us know what you decide.  Bill Hutton
Bill Hutton

Wunderlust

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »
Hi Bill

Have decided to follow your suggestion and only paint the scratches (they are not that numerous). Beats painting the whole thing!
''Krylon'' is a rust proof paint like ''Tremclad''; they both come in a can or a spray.

Would the spray form work better than a brush?

Bill Smith  - P.S. Before I paint, I've got to figure out how to remove the mast on the boat (it's lying horizontally on wooden supports). Maybe the club can help me with its mobile crane!

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
I think you'll find a couple of cheap artist brushes and a small can of flat black paint should do the trick.  Just paint within the scratches, avoiding the original paint.
Can you do one side of the mast while it's on the cradles, let the paint dry, then rotate the mast 180o and paint the other side?
Bill Hutton

Wunderlust

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:48 AM »
Hi Bill

Thanks for the good idea. I can easily paint the mast on its supports then rotate it. This will allow me to paint it once the boat is in the water and before we put it up (rather delicate to paint a mast on the cradle at a height of 12 feet). Plus I won't feel so rushed to paint before launch next week.

Would you recommend ''mat'' or ''glossy''? The paint comes in both varieties. Our mast right now (weathered after many years) is a little in between (not glossy but not mat either).
Thanks a million

Bill Smith

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33:17 PM »
Bill,
Good luck.  I think you'll have to decide on whether to use flat or glossy (I chose flat and it seemed to blend in OK).

Bill Hutton, Aurora, Bronte Ont.
Bill Hutton