Author Topic: hull colors  (Read 5980 times)

Terry

hull colors
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
 Hello everybody,
I'm well into the rebuild of my classic Aloha 28, Hull#2. I've removed all bottom paint down to the original gel coat which is in amazing condition
for a 41 year old fiberglass boat, a real tribute to her builders skill.
 The original color of this boat appears to be a brick red, which i'll try to duplicate. Does anyone out there have a boat that's factory red ?
I'm also trying to find any info on the original name of this Boat. someone out there has to know as this was the first Aloha 28 ever sold.
 It's present name is PJ which will not be the name of my boat. In a pole of my old west coast [ USA ] racing buddies { and I mean really old }
The winning name is RELIC, but I would like to find the boat's original name before I decide.

Thanks,
             Terry

Dan Sullivan

Re: hull colors
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
Hi Terry

I have the same boat hull #4 and I think it has always been a white hull. My boat has always been in Maryland and was originally owned by a guy who sold boats. I think if you could find someone at Department of Natural Resources to track your boat registration number you may be able to find the previous name and other info. hopefully.  Good luck on your work with a great boat !!

Dan

Terry

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
 Dan, Thanks for your input and although it's a little off-topic I wonder if you can help me in my research ref. Ser. and hull numbers which I started
in a prior post "hull numbers". Dan, does your boat have a ser.# on a "matilda" Plate in the cockpit and is the ser# 220173?

Terry

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
 Sorry Dan , I meant ser#240173
  Terry

Dan Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:21:38 AM »
Terry

My serial # is XUY000280473
Just happened to have the plate at home.
Dan

Terry

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
Dan, Why do you believe your hull is #4 [ this ties into my research ]
 Terry

Dan Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
Terry
When I first joined this association and provided my info. I got a reply breaking down the numbers. The 28 was the boat size, the 4 was the hull number and the 73 the year. I also just had a rigging inspection and the report stated that it was hull #4. I am sure that someone on this site would know more about the numbers than what I have. Hope this helps........ Dan

Dan Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
Terry

Had a memory jolt and seem to remember reading on this site that the hull numbers started at 21 so that could be why you have the 24 in your number and my 28. Could your 01 and my 04 be the month ?  Just a thought.   Dan 

Terry

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »
 Dan, under my theory stated in a prior post under "sail numbers" your boat would be hull # 8. And it would have been started or finished in April of 73{
don't have enough info to be sure about that} but my guess is that the last three digits of you ser.# is the month your boat was finished.
 And that supports my theory that with the small size of the company and and yard, they could only produce a few boats a month at the start of production and my boat , ser# 220173 was the second 28 built in Jan. 1973. We know that hull #1 was cut apart to aid in construction of all future boats and if anyone has a lower ser# than mine my theory will have to be altered, but no lower ser# has ever been submitted so I stand behind assertions.

Lets hope we can get a few more early ser.# and put this to rest.
Thanks,  Terry