Author Topic: New Owner - Panacea A32  (Read 18187 times)

jjokee

New Owner - Panacea A32
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
All,
   I am the new owner of a 1982 Panacea Aloha A32 Sailboat. She will need some work, mostly electrical, plumbing, bright work and bottom paint.
I've read some of the posts regarding the keel bolts and took a look at mine. What I found was interesting. Two of the nuts were not there. Completely missing. The bolts look good. The area around the aft keel bolt is solid, however the nut is corroded.
   Does anyone know the size of the nuts and where I can purchase them? Also, I assume they should be stainless steel? However I am wondering why the aft one is corroded...

Thanks for any help provided.
Sincerely John "O"
S/V Panacea

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
    • Fuel Additives for corrosion and sludge control
Re: New Owner - Panacea A32
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
If you have corroded nuts, they are likely NOT stainless.  I have a smaller Aloha and have replaced corroded nuts in areas where the bolt is stainless and the nut is steel.  Dissimilar metals are not an ideal situation especially in a marine environment - it can corrode out in no time at all.  I suggest that you replace all of the nuts with stainless and check all threads.  Take an old one to get the size from a fastener supplier.
"Beach House" 1983 Tartan 33

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
Is that the A32 that was for sale in the Boston area? We almost went for a drive when it was listed at its initial price.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Holdech

• Administrator
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
I want to add a bit more info to my previous post now that I'm on a computer with a keyboard.

When Panacea (the one near Boston) first came on the market (at around $1000), I called and spoke to someone (don't remember the name) and was told it was a "donation" boat, hence the price. I was also told it had been "out in the weather" for a number of years, had water infiltration in the cabin and a seized engine.

Someone was taking a look at the engine to see if it could be salvaged via oil down the injector holes and tapping with a dowel (and to see if it really was seized - he didn't think it was). But the other interesting thing I was told was that "someone" (he wouldn't say if it was previous owner or him) planned to drop the keel and sell the lead as scrap. So maybe that's why some nuts are missing - someone started the process and changed their mind?

I was planning to see the boat (two day drive for me) but before I could do that it appears someone bought it and  re-listed it for 7 times the original price.

If it is indeed the same boat it will be interesting to follow your restoration. It appeared to need a lot of work but much of that work is what I just finished doing to the A32 we purchased this spring. I have done complete plumbing, sanitation, propane, fuel,  fresh water tankage and galley replacement (and more) - be more than glad to pass on any info that might help.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Andiamo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many new owners of A32's on this forum. Over the next few months, this is going to be a great place to be to discuss A32 and how best to maintain them.  I am very lucky in that I know the previous two owners Andiamo and I know what was done to her to keep her in the top shape that she is in. (She is along side my other boat). I will also be checking the aft keel bolt after Christmas. I will let you all know the results in the new year.
Wayne - SV Andiamo A32, Holyrood, NL

jjokee

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
All,
   Thanks for the feedback! Yes this is Panacea from Boston. I bought her at auction through the Mass Maritime. By some research before I purchased her I had seen a listing on Yachtworld and a few other brokers listed her for over 17K. I was informed by the Maritime that they in fact had the engine running for a potential buyer the prior year, It had been at the maritime for at least a year because I had seen her in Nov of 2013. I have some documentation that she was in the water in 2012 and in fact has a new mainsail from 2012. Looks like it has never been used.
   Obviously the corroded keel nut was not stainless. I did find the size 3/4-10 and have purchased Stainless replacements.
Interesting theory about removing the keel for scrap? I guess anything is possible, if so I guess she was spared that fate.
I hope to get her back to sailing conditions in about a years time. I'll be looking to the other A32 owners for advice.

Thanks in advance!
John
S/V Panacea

Holdech

• Administrator
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm curious who I spoke to when it was originally available for $1000 as a donation boat. I remember it was someone connected with the donation company/charity. He was the one telling me to see it quickly as they were planning to sell the keel (and part out the rest).
Glad that didn't happen - good to know she will be sailing again.
It was right after I spoke to this guy that it changed hands and was listed for the price you saw.
Guess someone realized the true value.

Glad to hear the engine is running and about the sails.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

cverra

• S/V Windover, Belleville Ontario.
    • Restoration of S/V Windover
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
We looked at that boat online when we were shopping. Glad you bought it. Now we can go back to proper average price estimates. It was a bit of an anomaly even at 17K. Great price for these boats. Way too low if you already own one if you know what I mean. They should be more like 50K but with the depressed prices lately most are going in the high thirties. Once you have her fixed up and sailing you will see that these boats are head and shoulders over most of the 32 footers on the market today. Really well mannered, very comfortable and well laid out and they are the best looking boat on the water (always important). You have a great platform for a project boat. Hopefully she repays you with years of good service for your efforts.
Chris (the other Chris)
If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

jjokee

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
Chris, and Chris,
  Thanks for the feedback! I know what you mean about the price. After I originally saw Panacea, I started looking for Aloha 32's of the same year and the least expensive I saw was 29,500 and another for 34,000. I've already started the overhaul diving in with both feet. I've taken everything off the boat and stored it in my cellar, which is dry, good for the cushions and sails. I have the main salon table in my cellar and started to sand it down. I will need to replace the companionway boards.
  I'll change all the fluids in the engine, replace oil and fuel filters and try to get her re-started. I did hook up a battery just to see if it would turn over and it does, that was a relief. Now the next thing will be to get her running.
I plan on trying to brighten up the interior with lighter colors. Not sure if the deck can be salvaged or if I'll need to replace it.
Does anyone know where I can find marine grade decking material for the sole? I've thought I might just purchase marine grade plywood and put that in its place and put varnish down.
   Thanks again!
John

cverra

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
John: Where are you located? We use a store in Toronto called Noah's that sells the teak and holly sole (as the interior floor is called). It comes in 4x8' sheets. The sole in your boat has 3/4" marine plywood under it as the teak and holly is only about 3/8" thick (not very stiff). You can probably take the teak and holly ply off of the 3/4 and reuse the heavy underlay. If not you will have to buy 3/4" marine ply for under the sole. The teak and holly was about $400 a sheet last I looked. Maybe cheaper in the States. You do mention replacing the deck. I hope you are referring to the interior floor as replacing a deck is a HUGE undertaking and very expensive. On a boat that size you would spend more than the price of the boat to do it and many, many months with dust in your nose. The interior floors, if you do them yourself and reuse the 3/4 ply underlay can be done for around $1000. I see you are planning a multi year renovation on this boat. We brought Windover home in the same condition and did as much as we could (or had to) under cover, on the hard and splashed her the next spring. We did a few bigger projects in the water through the summer. By doing this we had the benefit and pleasure of sailing all summer while work continued. It was very pleasant working on the boat in the water. I actually looked forward to it. I find boats age very quickly on the hard too so by putting it into service immediately I was able to keep her better maintained. Good luck with her. You can check out our project boat at http://aloha32rebuild.weebly.com/. We have a blog page on that site for any questions you might have.
Good Luck ..... and fair seas.
Chris (the other Chris)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

jjokee

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »
Chris,
   Thanks for the info. I am in Plymouth, Massachusetts. USA obviously. I like your website, great info. I did find some maple and teak decking for around 30 dollars a linear foot, I'm guessing I'd need roughly 15 feet. I'll try cleaning the current deck and maybe some light sanding to see what I'm up against before I start replacing anything just yet, still trying to asses the entire project and figure out what's what.
   Another question for you, on the port side about 6-8 feet from the bow, there is a metal device on the exterior of the hull. I'm thinking it is some sort of anode, inside it has two electrical connection points, I haven't chased down the wiring yet, but thought you might know. Also the reefer has a separate thru hull, which is currently capped. I'm thinking I'll remove the thru hull, patch the hole and let the reefer drain to the bilge. What do you think?
Thanks again!
John

aloha27

• Steve, Patti and Grace (Ship's Cat) A27 #39
    • Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
Hi John!

It sounds very much to me like you have a dynaplate installed on your hull, used for electrical grounding and bonding.
http://www.marinco.com/en/4006

I'd be hesitant on allowing your refrigerator to drain into the bilge. One leaking milk container will reveal why.

Aloha!
Steve, Patti and Grace (Ship's Cat)
sv "Ever After"
A27 #39
Tatamagouche NS
Sailing is a contact sport and involves some inherent risk. Now quit whining and gybe the damn boat

cverra

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 06:38:59 AM »
John: We have some terminology issues here I think. I am assuming that by "deck" or "decking" you mean sole and by "reefer" you mean ice box. From this perspective I have some things to discuss. First off, if you do decide to strip the teak and holly sole before replacing it entirely, you must take great care. If it has de-laminated due to moisture, you are done. It cannot be brought back from this. If it is simply stained, you should be aware that the teak and holly is only a veneer and is very thin. I have had good success with a very sharp scraper or draw knife as some call it. I would carefully scrape the stained areas with the grain of the vener till I had removed only the polyurethane finish. A little trick with the scraper is to take a grinder and round the corners on either side of the blade. These rounded corners minimize the notching caused by holding the scraper off level when in use. Then bleach or clean the stained area using any of the available teak cleaning products, allow it to dry once the color matches the unstained portions of the floor and then re-coat using a polyurethane or varnish to match the original. DO NOT USE A MECHANICAL SANDER ON THIS TYPE OF FLOOR!!!! I hope I stressed that sufficiently. One wrong move and you can blow a hole through the veneer that you cannot hide. If you must sand do so with a block and some elbow grease, still proceeding slowly and carefully and always with the grain.
Sailors are a traditional bunch so if you ever wish to re-sell the boat be careful of straying from the original design or materials. I would never buy a boat that had evidence of extensive modification. I would try to match the original sole as best as you can, right down to measuring the width of the teak and holly strips and duplicating it exactly. This site has a lot of info about original materials and suppliers for this purpose. It only takes a little more effort to duplicate the builders or designers work and they spent many thousands of hours to get it right. Why mess with that?
Regarding the ice box, routing the drain to the bilge is an option and many builders used this method. That said, what you drain from the bottom of an icebox at the end of a voyage is generally not very pleasant. This smelly concoction will leave a residue in your bilges that you will smell forever. Your time may be better spent examining the through hull fittings and replacing them. Make sure there is a functioning ball valve on the drain and you can shut it off if there is ever an issue. Again, stock is best in my opinion.
The first boat we bought was in similar condition to Panacea. it was neglected but had really good bones and a great heritage. When we went to work on it we were a little overzealous and threw out a lot of junk that seemed to have no purpose only later to discover that some of these items were very important...and original to the boat. Take your time sorting through the junk and save everything for at least the first year. You will be amazed how many bits find a home at the end of the process. We wet sanded the gelcoat and waxed it and it came up like new...again this is on our site under "boats we have owned".
The most important and most satisfying thing we have done on very new boat we have bought was clean it. I would spend hours wet sanding or compounding the exterior and my wife cleans the interior with a toothbrush in the corners and vinegar and water or stronger cleansers for the really tough stains. Murphy's wood oil soap is great for cleaning woodwork. One really good cleaning takes years off of the age of a boat and helps familiarize you with your new vessel. You will be amazed how resilient the materials used to build your boat are. Don't be quick to remove or paint them. Once the interior woodwork has been cleaned and has had time to dry we would oil it with a bit of teak oil on a rag and go over the oiled areas with another dry rag. Once this has been done you will find that the remainder of the projects are not that intimidating. Avoid painting the hull or interior. One good cleaning often brings the boat back to a factory fresh look and smell.
The boat you bought can be restored to near new condition if you move through it carefully and systematically and do a bit of research along the way. Don't be too quick to make changes. So many new sailors take their boat and make it an RV on the water by adding microwaves, electrical doo-dads, lighting, tv's etc. Be careful of doing this. For resale, stock is best. Take her back to basics and then build on the clean pallet the builder and designer created.....in my opinion.
Hope this helps you.
Chris (the other Chris)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Holdech

• Administrator
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
A suggestion I can make is to buy "Brightwork: the art of finishing wood" by Rebecca J  Wittman. She also has a second book "The brightwork companion". Both are available from Amazon and cover off just about every method of finishing and refinnishing wood on a boat. I like these books because they talk about current tools, techniques and products (pros and cons of each).

The other Chris is absolutely correct about restoring gel coat vs painting. Our previous boats came to us looking like salvage - but they  came back to a factory shine with a little effort.

Chipped and scratched gel coat can also be repaired. A friend of ours who runs a mobile marine business out of Peterborough can make just about any damage virtually disappear - no paint involved. Actually, (for the other Chris) he is teaching a half day course on gel coat repair and restoration at the Rigging Shoppe in Toronto (Scarborough) near the end of February.

Either way, I bet you end up with a magnificent boat for your efforts.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

jjokee

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
All,
   Thanks for the great info.
1. Steve, Patti and Grace (Ship's Cat) , Sounds like you nailed it, I don't think it is the same manufacturer but it is wired as they describe from the web site. Also, did't consider the milk scenario. Makes sense I'll re-plumb to the original design.
2, Chris, my intent is to keep her in an "as-built condition". The "sole" does have an area that is de-laminated in front of the stove. and there is a small (1" x 1") section broken from one of the boards which cover the bilge. Depending on how big the overall project turns into, I may initially try to clean it up as much as possible without doing any more harm, but eventually It will need to be replaced.
Regarding the Reefer, what I termed short for refrigerator. It is not just an ice box. I believe the previous owner put in a refrigeration unit in the ice box, I don't know if this was part of the original design, however the compressor unit and plumbing are definitely new. I will definitely re-plumb the drain to its original thru hull and replace the ball valve.
For this weekend I plan on getting her motor running. This would be a big step forward!

Thanks again!
John