Author Topic: 1980 ALHOA 8.2 (27ft) - double bed missing (starboard berth)  (Read 5654 times)

Scotty

1980 ALHOA 8.2 (27ft) - double bed missing (starboard berth)
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
Good day,
*New Member*

I am looking at an 1980 ALHOA 8.2 that seems to have the starboard double berth missing. Not sure, but the original specs seem to show that configuration (pull-out double berth). I am in need of the extra sleeping accommodations and would like to see this installed if possible. I also believe there may have been a similar discussion on this, in an earlier thread. This said, I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone that may know about this, or could perhaps offer a recommendation. Attached is a picture for your review (the table is screwed to the floor).

Cheers,
Scotty

davidharpur

Re: 1980 ALHOA 8.2 (27ft) - double bed missing (starboard berth)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »
Hi Scotty.
The pull out 2nd berth is simply a piece of plywood that is normally stored underneath the cushion of the right settee. It sits on the protruding lip of the right settee and extends across to the left settee where it curves out. There are 2 screw in legs that support the left edge where it is not supported by the left settee.
From the picture you posted , I do not see the lip on the right hand settee so I assume the boat pictures was not equipped with the 2nd sette.

Unfortunately I just left my boat and so cannot send you a picture of it in place.

The table on my boat looks the same as the one in your picture from what I can see from the top. Mine lifts off the two metal posts and then the two posts lift out of the metal sockets which are screwed into the cabin sole. The posts are tapered on the ends so then can get quite snug so need a good tug to lift out. I cannot see the posts in your picture.

David (Aloha 8.2 # 105)
David Harpur
Aloha 8.2 #105 "Gypsy Girl"

Scotty

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply... certain I can fabricate something in the workshop this winter.
Will have a closer look at that table also.

**Note - if anyone else has pictures of the plywood berth extension (starboard settee) and associated support legs, would be great to see.

Thanks,
Scotty

Rocket Man

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »
While my 8.2 is an 86, my drop down table is different, but your starboard settee should have a pull out.  I have two bolts to keep the teak lip and plywood under the cushions, there are legs that screw in when pulled out.  Under this pull out there are two nice hatches to store items.  just not easy to get to...will post pics if you want..

Scotty

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »
Hello again... thanks for the replies.
The starboard settee on this boat does not have the pull-out. Just the hatch accesses under the cushions. This boat is from 1980 (Hull #37) I believe. appreciate any pictures you may have.

Cheers,
Scotty

Mordax

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »
My boat doesn't have the double berth either, but I did a bit of searching around the internet and I think I found one that does.

You can see the lip on both the starboard and port side settees (as davidharpur mentioned). With those lips and an addition screw-on leg, you can see how the extension board would sit (with the table removed of course).

My boat doesn't have this (hull #61), but I've contemplated other options for extending the berth. I liked this idea

Similar idea, where it'd store under the cushion when not in use, then slide out. Maybe a winter project...

Scotty

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Hello Mordax,
I think you need to send the pictures to the site admin for them to be posted. Thanks!

Mordax

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
Hmm. See if this works

larsenray

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 02:09:20 AM »
I have the same problem as Scotty but till now I havenĀ“t had time do anything about it. But the family grows and maybe I should invest som time in a spring project. I like both proposals presented above, especially when you store it under the cushion. Maybe I could fix it on my own without too high costs.

davidharpur

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »
Realize this is old thread but I just got back to my boat on apr. 23 for lift in the next day so I took some pictures of the extra settee which are attached.
David Harpur
Aloha 8.2 #105 "Gypsy Girl"