Author Topic: "Prop Steer" on the Aloha 28, What can be done about it??  (Read 4692 times)

dougadams

"Prop Steer" on the Aloha 28, What can be done about it??
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:14:42 AM »
Hello All,

We own an Aloha 28, and experience a good amount of prop steer to port when reversing out of our mooring.
I believe it a problem most A28 owners have, and deal with in different ways.

Has anyone switched out the standard prop for a 3 bladed one that is of a different pitch.
I was thinking perhaps a three bladed prop and a different pitch of the blades, may somewhat neutralize this pain in the neck characteristic.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!!

All the Best,

Doug

a28bliss

Re: "Prop Steer" on the Aloha 28, What can be done about it??
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:59:44 PM »
Is prop steer all bad?

Our A28 does have significant prop steer in reverse. I haven't changed the prop ( a 2-blade Martec 13x9) so can't say whether this would reduce it, but have used 4 techniques to take advantage of this "feature":

1. I chose a mooring at our marina so that as I enter it I am turning in to starboard and have a port tie - as I turn in the natural tendency is for the boat the drift towards the finger, and then a quick burst of reverse pulls the stern across to it at the same time as the boat comes to a halt. When I'm reversing out, I want the stern to go to port into the "lane" so the prop steer actually helps.

2. After we had some correspondence about prop steer on an earlier list a while ago, Dennis Clarke sent in a Cruising World article he had kept which showed how to use prop steer to "Master the Tight Turn" - this is on the AOA website at http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projects/turn/turn.htm

3. The prop steer only occurs when applying power. If you give a substantial burst of reverse power to get some way on, and then throttle back, the boat keeps moving but will steer in either direction.

4. Whenever I am manouvering or coming into a marina I'm visiting I use a combination of the above to request a favourable berth if one is available, plan all manouvers to ensure they DON'T require steering to starboard under power in reverse (I'll do a circle in the other direction if I have to) and to use the port tie + reverse to snug neatly up to the dock. I've become so used to doing this, I might now find it more difficult to manouver a boat that doesn't prop steer!

Not really an answer to your question, but just another view on prop steer.

Keith

musrum

Re: "Prop Steer" on the Aloha 28, What can be done about it??
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
The prop that most people I know seem to be happiest with is from Indigo.
It is a three blade designed for use with Atomic 4 engines, but as you have
a 13x9, it might do well.

I have experianced the change this prop made on a couple of boats, and it
is significant.  There is much less prop walk, and better acceleration in
reverse.

Call the people at Indigo - the are reported to be very helpful.  They have a
toll free number on their web site - www.atomic4.com/propeller.html

td