Author Topic: 1984 Aloha 8.5 prop upgrade and bimini  (Read 1498 times)

Lake Simcoe

1984 Aloha 8.5 prop upgrade and bimini
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Hi everyone I have just recently purchased a new to me 1984 Aloha 8.5 and am loving it. Just was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions.
1) Has anyone upgraded their stock prop it just looks so small (boat cruises at 5 knots at 2000 rpm ) which from what I have read is dam good.
2) My boat has a dodger and would like to get a bimini for her has anyone here had one made if so how did they deal with the back boom rigging.

Thanks
Lake Simcoe

Sawlty Dawg

Re: 1984 Aloha 8.5 prop upgrade and bimini
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Quinte Canvas made a bimini for mine, I'm not sure what you mean by 'the back boom rigging' but as my traveler is mounded on the stern I have to move it to the center of the boat when going downwind to the main sheet does not put undue pressure on the bimini frame.

The backstay goes through the center of the bimini, there is a zipper on the starboard side that allows the canvas to be removed while the backstay is in place.

Looking through my pics I sure do miss sailing on Lake Ontario.

Sawlty

wildron

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
I have the same problem re: the main sheet traveler and a bimini. 
As the traveler is located on the transom and the split backstay is also runs to the transom, I don't see any way to accommodate a bimini on the boat with the mainsheet traveler in this position?

Laskadog

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
Our traveller in in front of the cockpit, so we went for the solar panel bimini option.  Made it ourselves.  Keeps our batteries charged with a fridge running 24/7 :)

Laskadog

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
The picture didn't follow :(

Gypsy28

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
Laskadog, can you post a photo of your traveller at the front of the cockpit.  Most Aloha 8.5s have the traveller on the stern coaming, and I've seen one that had split main sheets on the cabin top similar to the Aloha 32.  I've thought about replacing our stern traveller with one at the front of the cockpit and would like to see a photo of how it was done.

thanks.
"Gypsy"
Aloha 28 (#91)

Laskadog

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any and the boat is on the hard right now.  If I go this winter, I'll take a shot. There's a seat the width of the cockpit in front of the campanionway, and the traveller is at the aft end of that.  I really can't see why they didn't always do it that way.

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
Hey Sawlty,

Are you totally happy with the bimini from Quinte canvas?
I need to replace just the canvas on ours (originally from Natty/Genco).

I have been shopping around and Quinte's price was 25% less than Genco and 60% less than Dreamcast.
I had them make a winter cover last season and I'm completely happy with that. I've just never seen a bimini/dodger of theirs.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
Yes I am very happy with the work Quinte Canvas did for me, when I had a local shop here look at the canvas to get some sunscreens fitted for it they were very impressed with the work, they also said that the hardware was top quality, so no complaints here at all.

Liam