Author Topic: No sailing for me.  (Read 438 times)

Sawlty Dawg

No sailing for me.
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:45:55 PM »
We were going to go out this weekend but the smoke here in Vernon makes that not very pleasant. Staying indoors and fixing stuff around the house instead, not the normal summer weekend activity at all. 

There are two rows of houses in the center of that picture, they just look like faint lines now.

Sawlty Dawg

Re: No sailing for me.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:12:52 PM »
Oooh clearing up a little

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
Very sad.  I appreciate your decision not to sail and breathe that stuff.  In the North Channel of Georgian Bay/Lake Huron, we also experienced sailing in smokefog and it is very unpleasant.  We were anchored about 150 miles west of the large Parry Sound fire burning on the northeast side of GB.  When I woke up, I thought the folks anchored off a little beach nearby had started a shore fire for breakfast, in a fire ban zone.  Latter in the day while underway, we were in smoke that reduced visibility to about 1/2 mile, until the wind started blowing the other way.
I am guessing that all the Spruce bug damage to forests over the last decade has added enormously to the kindling available to all these fires.   Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
We saw some of the Spruce Budworm damage driving through the Rockies a few weeks ago, it's terrible.

Sawlty