Author Topic: Aloha 8.5  (Read 732 times)

wildron

Aloha 8.5
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
Hello, thanks for the add, I've just purchased an '85 8.5 and have a question regarding the bunk in the main cabin.  There are swing out wooden davits to create a double bunk in the main cabin but there is no board to put on these davits to create the bed.  My question is, "was there ever something there to make this a double bunk".  Seems all I have to do is purchase a piece of plywood to create the double bunk?  I can't find any pictures online that illustrate how the double bunk is created.  Thanks very much for any light you can shed on this.
Ron Wild

Aldebaran

Re: Aloha 8.5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
Hi Ron,

I have an A28 built in 1978. It sounds like your bunk may have been designed differently than mine.

I have basically a piece of plywood with teak trim that slides out. There is a ledge at the forward edge and it looks like there was originally some kind of support under the plywood that folded down. However, that has been replaced by a previous owner with  couple of fold down legs which required cutting  rectangular slots in the fiberglass shell.

Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Laskadog

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
I have somewhat the similar set-up on my 79'.  There is a plywood section exactly the same dimension as the settee that slides out and is supported by a track on the foreward bulkhead like above, however I have 2 or 3 legs that screw into the edge of the plywood instead.  I should go to the boat tomorrow. If I do, I'll snap a couple of pics too. If you don't have the bunk, it would be pretty easy to convert it.

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
My 82 8.5 is the same as Laskadogs, yours sounds like a custom mod.

wildron

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:22:51 PM »
My hull # is 207 and the davits appear to have been put in when manufactured.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I'll get one.  The bunk is as per the pictures in Aldebaran's post.  I'm thinking of making a cardboard template and cutting one out of 1/2' plywood, may do the trick, but I can't understand why a previous owner wouldn't leave it with the boat.  I just purchased the boat and the previous owners only had the boat for 3 years.  Cheers

Wildron

Laskadog

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »
Sorry for the delay, but here are some pics.  Funny thing is that I had never tried the bunk and found out that I basically canMt use it.  My cushions don't fit.  Usually when you have a pull-out bed the bottom cushions and backrest make up the mattress, but my back rests are too big, so they don't fit. So when I pull out the bottom, I can only use the bottom cushions, which makes the whole pull-out function useless.  I guess a previous owner re-did the cushions without this in mind.  Oh well.

wildron

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 10:53:38 PM »
Do those holes in the board not effect the usefulness of the bunk?  I think I'd fall through?  Here's a pic of the davits on my boat for which I have no board at all?

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
Lift up your cushions. The wooden lip that retains the cushions should be attached to a board that slides out and onto the "davits".
On our A32, there are two pins that keep the board from sliding out when the boat heels. These just pull out and the board is then free to move.
While the front of the board is well supported on a batten, you will want to add a leg at the back right corner of the board. If not, the davits will pull out when you sit on that corner.
We just epoxied a 1/4 inch blind but through the top of the board (bottom right corner). We screw in a standard table leg (from Lowes) that is cut to the appropriate length.

If you want, I can take pictures this weekend.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
Aldebaran's pics look a lot like ours. I don't understand the retractable leg on the front as that part is well supported by the batten you can see in the pic - super solid.
The other end, supported by the swing out "davits" is what needs a leg.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

wildron

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
Great, thanks for the input.  I'll be able to get to the boat this weekend again to check it out and let you know.  Sounds pretty logical to me.

wildron

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
Hi Chris, me again re: the main cabin bunk.  I've got the boat home now and there is no board that slides out onto the swing out wooden davits?
If possible could you take a picture of the board?  I'd like to make one as it seems a waste not to have the board.
My boat has a single piece of teak rail screwed onto the edge of the seat, no board.
Thanks  a lot.
By the way I see your boat has a bow pulpit.  My last boat had one and the kids miss it on this one.
Cheers

Ron