Author Topic: North Channel Marina  (Read 183 times)

Aurora

• Aloha 34 #233
    • Oakville Yacht Squadron
North Channel Marina
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
We are thinking about taking our boat from Oakville to the North channel next summer. Costs with the Town of Oakville run around 4500-5000/year.  Can any of you recommend a home base and marinas with ballpark costs for a slip and winter storage?
Thanks Bill, SV Alohalani
Bill Hutton

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
Re: North Channel Marina
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »
Hi Bill,

It depends on where you want to be.
My favorite is Little Current with Gore Bay second. Little current is a cool little town with lots to do, especially during their Haweaters Festival. But prices at either of the marinas are about the same or higher than what you pay now.

If I was looking for reasonable North Channel prices it would have to be Spanish. They have an incredible facility that was a government project from the 90's. As a typical government project, they put in a facility ten times what the area could support (and at a hundred times the cost lol). You won't find another facility that compares - but - the town of Spanish itself has virtually nothing other than an LCBO, post office, and hardware store (unless the restaurant has reopened).
As a result, current seasonal rates for 50 amp service and a boat our size is a little over $1K. The channel is always a concern to many but this year is around 7 feet minimum depth. I have no idea about winter storage though.

But if you are like us, the North Channel is all about exploring and anchoring out - not being tied up to a dock.

Now I'm jealous! You have no idea how much we miss the North Channel...

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
Coming back from the NC this year, we found that there is definitely a trend toward seasonal dockage.  It used to be folks living in the Sudbury area who kept their boat in Spanish, Little Current or Gore Bay, but now we meet people from all over Ontario and the US who keep ther boat up there.  Many go up in June, launch and go,  with an early haul out at the end of Aug to return home. In fact, there are few transient slips left in Spanish for us cruisers.  Gore Bay used to host the odd Rendezvous like the GLCC event but they do not have sufficient transient slips anymore.  Even Killarney was full in July this year, as they had booked MANY boat rendezvous events into both the Lodge and Sportsmans. It was the first year in nearly 25 years that we could not get a night's dockage.  While in southern GB, in the MIdland Bay area, there are fewer boats, to the point that one large marina has closed. That is not the case in the north.   Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Aurora

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
Great stuff. Thanks for the info guys.  I'll look into Spanish unless you remember something even cheaper. :-)
Bill Hutton

openear

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
I live in Sudbury and dock in Spanish with an A28.  Winter storage will run about same or a little more than a seasonal dock. 
The least expensive option if you're going to be around for a few years is the North Channel Yacht Club in Spragge.
http://www.ncyc.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Channel-Yacht-Club/686821358125757

You have to put in some hours and buy or build a mooring or cradle (some docks available) and there is small buy in at first, but then you're paying only slightly more year round (summer, winter, and haul in/out) as for summer dockage elsewhere. It depends if you just need a place to park your boat, or if you want full services and a city to step off into.

Aurora

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
Thanks openear and others.
The admiral has decided that she'd like to head towards Montreal and Quebec city instead, but I'll keep this info in mind for future summers.
Bill
Bill Hutton