Author Topic: Bilge pumps  (Read 252 times)

SailorTim

Bilge pumps
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
Peace and Joy , an A32, is back in the water here in Grosse Pointe, MI but alas neither my manual nor my 12v bilge pumps are working.  Before moving to repair/replace I was wondering if anyone had any sage advice about bilge pumps.  I am thinking of using the big hose from the manual pump for a larger (2000GPH) 12v pump, by-passing the current manual pump. As many likely know, access to the manual pump and associated hoses is a problem.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Tim

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Re: Bilge pumps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
On the V berth model, access to the manual pump is not too difficult and can be done by removing the wood trim and end piece in the aft end of the quarter berth.  However, I replaced it with the same part (back ordered to the UK) and after 2 seasons, it too failed to survive winter.  This pump seems to need anti freeze in it.  If you increase the size and power of the electric pump, you would also need to enlarge the thruhull fitting to accommodate it.   I now use the same size electric pump but have a manual hand pump in the kitty that can pump bilge water into the sink, if necessary, as a backup. Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32