Author Topic: New sails for Escapade  (Read 455 times)

Jackrabbit

New sails for Escapade
« on: May 19, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Launched "Escapade" this week-end at Bath and finally bent on the new main and 135% genny I had made this winter.  Didn't get a chance to sail, but just wanted to mention that Evolution (offices in Montreal and Toronto) did a fantastic job - sails are top notch quality and were quite a sight to behold fully deployed - even if only at the dock - and seemed to set very nicely.  Looking forward to seeing them work next week-end!  Didn't take long to get some shadfly smears on my new canvass - sniff! 

(First time in my life I ever had a brand new suit of sails on a cruising boat).

Burton
S.V. "Escapade" (A32)

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Re: New sails for Escapade
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
Glad you had a good experience.
How was the process? Do they ask many usage questions? What about options?
I'd like a new headsail as well, I think my 150% is just to big, and old. But i can't help but feel my local sail loft would prefer racing customers, i think cruising sail fall to the bottom of the pile..

Let us know how you like the 135? I assume you had a 150 before.

Fair winds
Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jackrabbit

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
Not sure if the old sail was 150%, but I think so (I've only sailed with it for one Summer).  Pretty sure it was original stock for Ouyang.  Sold it a while back, so can't compare it.

Denise (from the Montreal office) was very good to deal with, by phone and by e-mail, and yes she had me do some measuring, though she had the specs on the A32 rig and the loft knew what to do (the actual loft is located in Toronto - I just went through Denise because of a friend recommendation).  The options I had included choice of sail cloth, luff foam and uv protector material (Sunbrella vs vinyl).  The sail fits perfectly on the furler. 

My understanding is that Evolution is a favourite among performance sailors (which I am definitely not!), but I had very good service from them.

Price was very comparable to a quote from Lee Sails, but Evolution uses U.S. sail cloth, reputed to be of much better quality than the Asian variety.  And their delivery date was much better than Lee.   I ordered the genny in December and had it in March (mind, I ordered the Main in October and had it in December).  If you order during the sailing season they can get it done much faster as they are less busy,  unless, of course, they are out sailing.

She wants me to take a number of pictures with the boat under sail to give me pointers on tuning and tensioning (e.g., mainsail batten, etc).

Burton

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
Sounds like good service, what I would hope for anyhow. I do like the follow up details on trim and such.
I wonder if they go to the toronto boat show. I could go chat with a few sailmakers this winter.
I like that they use north American cloth. That would certainly help with longevity.
I'm curious about your sheeting angle, anthwartships. My boat came with in board sheeting tracks. Which leaked and i removed to seal up for now. I suppose a 135 is too large for those but I'm curious if you ever use them?

I'm currently sailing up the New Jersey Coast and i can't really use my genoa at this tight angle. This means more motoring and less sailing. A 135 that sheeted to the side decks might be great for this.
I do wonder if our short shoal keels would limit the angle to the wind more so that the sail sheeting angle.

Hope the new sail works well for you.
Fair winds
Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Jackrabbit

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:00:26 PM »
Vid of Escapade's new sails in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEtcUM7ZXxU

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
Looking sharp with the new spread! I bet you will get better speed and height too.
The sheet lead seems to be an issue for many with that fairlead in the way.
I suppose a higher cut clew would allow a lead further aft.
How high is your tack? I raised the furling drum on my boat to about the level of the mid rail on the pulpit. Obviously I had to get the old sail cut to fit. But now I can anchor without obstruction and see right under the sail on some points.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
Our furling drum is about the same height as Jeff's. Can't imagine it much lower, for all the reasons Jeff mentioned.
Chris, Teliki, A32

Jackrabbit

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
Fixed the sheet lead issue by removing the fairlead and passing the block on to the aft track (easy to do: its just screwed down with two no. 12 ss screws - used butyl tape to bed the screws when re-installed).  The sheeting angle is much better now and the creases are gone.  The fact that the block is now "trapped" aft of the fairlead is not a big issue for furling the genny since you should never reef it more than 20%, lest you lose optimal sail shape, in which case the sheeting angle will not be of much consequence.

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:36:26 PM »
Burton,

We're having genoa issues (bagged out, can't point) and probably need a new one.  What did you pay for the genny, if you don't mind sharing? 

Thanks,
Julie
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

Jackrabbit

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
Hi Julie, all told it was a tad under $4000 (CDN) from Evolution, similar quote from Lee Sails.   I have been very pleased with the new sails.  Definitely made a difference in pointing ability, and also, much less heeling in strong wings (the  new main helps a lot in this regard - now I can flatten it by pulling in on the clew outhaul when it breezes up). 

Best,
Burton