Author Topic: Midship Cleats and Chocks on an A32?  (Read 125 times)

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
Midship Cleats and Chocks on an A32?
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
Yesterday we got to take the boat out for her first sail.  Prior to leaving the dock I threaded the sheets through the slide blocks.  There are three of them.  The lead block and turning block look a bit beefier than the center block.  Once we unfurled the genoa I quickly realized I had failed to guesstimate the best location for the lead block.  As I went to slide it back I saw a midship chock blocking it.  The first picture below is what it looks like at the dock.

Is this setup factory installed?  I'm thinking it's not and it really messes up the ability to properly set the blocks.  As it is now, the lead block is useless for pretty much every point of sail but dead downwind.

The second picture is the center block which became the lead block while out yesterday.
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Re: Midship Cleats and Chocks on an A32?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
No that is not factory.  That block was placed on the inner track for the storm jib.  Since I never have used the storm jib, I moved this block to the after section of the outer rail, and just aft of the winch.  I now lead the sheet thru a spring loaded flexi block, back through this fixed one and then up to the winch.  This gives me a different lead onto my winch and I like it better.   Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Great topic, I was just pondering this as well.
I believe the rail mounted chock gets in the way of setting the car forward when you want to fly the #3 jib on the outboard track. At least for my setup with a raised furler drum.
I can't get the right angle to trim evenly upwind.
It looks like your previous owner removed the chock to add a block forward for flying the #3 jib. Something I may do as well.

When I refit my boat I removed the inboard tracks as they were leaking. I'm likely going to reinstall them to aleaviate with issues and also get a better sheet angle anthwartships.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
Jeff - so the rail mounted chock is factory?

Bruce - It makes sense the lead block that is now on the outer track belongs on the inner track.  But I still wonder if what is now the center block is sufficient to be a genoa lead block.  I would tend to think the center block would be the one to place on the inner track as it would be controlling a #3 and not a #1.

Another question I had when setting it up was the turning block.  When we bought the boat it was even with the sheet winch.  I slid the car back so it could feed more normally into the sheet winch.  In trying to find the best place to put the turning block, I'm thinking of stresses placed on the block vs. the best angle to feed it into the sheet winch.  Any thoughts?   
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:55 PM »
Julie,

Yes the rail chock is a factory install. All the A32 are like that. I believe bruce meant that the car forward of the chock is not a regular setup.
I would assume the design intent was that the genoe led to a car aft of the chock and the jib led to a car on the inboard track. Not all boats came with this inboard track, many did not.

I have spent some time with different configs, the latest and greatest is two cars on each side. One just forward of the winch in the sweet spot between a good feed angle and enough footroom to walk forward and the other a bit forward of the station to get a good lead to my genoa.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V