Author Topic: A32 - Was the Starboard Berth Extended?  (Read 125 times)

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
A32 - Was the Starboard Berth Extended?
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
Yesterday, while looking for a place to put the new A/C unit, I discovered what looks like the starboard berth was extended at some time in the past.  There's some DIY modifications that tell me the berth was originally about ~78"? 

In the attached pic, there was a painted section of plywood that I removed.  This was past the ~78" mark.  Right at that mark there are signs this used to be the end of the berth.  Comments?
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Re: A32 - Was the Starboard Berth Extended?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Hey Julie,

I read this the first day you posted but i was waiting to take a picture, I didn't.
Yes I believe your berth was extended. Mine is shorter at about 75 inches.
I believe this is the original design length. Aft of the 1/4 inch plywood panel is a large open space, I have continually wondered why the berth wasn't longer right from the start. I have often thought of modifying it to be longer. It's just not long enough for me.
Of all the wonderfully thought out design features of this boat this waste of space perplexes me.
Enjoy the long berth.

PS. I did scope that void out as a great storage spot for extra beer when I was provisioning to go to the bahamas, i'm sure the AC will fit too!

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V