Author Topic: Cabin cushions  (Read 1930 times)

SailorTim

Cabin cushions
« on: June 21, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
Has anyone replaced the foam in their cabin cushions?  Mine is an A32, but I suspect they would all be the same.  I'm trying to decide if it should be three inches thick or four.   They are in pretty sad shape after all these years, but new foam made a world of difference on my previous boat.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Peace and Joy
Grosse Pointe, MI

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabin cushions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
Hey tim,

We passed by grosse point yesterday on our way back up the river to sarnia.
Looked like another so wind race day on Lake St Clair.
My cabin cushions are five inch on all the berths and settees. The settee seat backs are three inches thick.
If I were replacing mine I would try and increase the seatback thickness, or possibly taper the foam to make them more comfortable. At least that is the thought after living aboard for 9 months.

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »
After “refoaming” three boats that we spent several weeks aboard at a time, I’d strongly recommend latex foam. Absolute night and day better (way more $$ too).

And for cushions you sleep on use the foam from a “mattress topper”. These are usually 3 or 4 inches of medium latex bonded to an inch of “memory foam”. We found this to be as comfortable as our home mattress.

Hey Jeff - are you going to be at your boat two weekends from now? My son is competing in the laser regatta again. It would be cool to stop in again a year later.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

SailorTim

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »

Welcome home, Jeff.  Motoring up the St Clair river on a Sunday afternoon amid all the power boaters chopping the water was probably not the high point of your trip.    If I had known you would be passing Grosse Pointe I would have run out to the channel to say hello.

Looks like I need to do more research on foam.

Regards,
Tim

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
Chris,

I've never heard of latex foam, that must be what memory foam is made of.
We added a small topper to our berth to improve comfort. It's certainly better but not like a real mattress. Maybe we will look into a hybrid approach. That's for the info.
I will be away the weekend of July 5-6, other wise I will be around most of the time. I'm not sure the date for sailfest since i've been away so far this year. Hope to catch up.

Tim,
You pretty much nailed our feeling on the last few hours motoring, by far the worst 'washing machine' we have been in!
Thanks for thinking about sailing out. That would have been neat. I was on the lookout for your boat on the chance that we crossed path on sat, i should have reached out. Next time!

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Sailfest is July 6 and 7 so we most likely won't get to say hello. I do have a few questions about your trip and boat but I'll ask them via the forum so everyone can benefit.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
Just thought I'd add this to the discussion...

When we bought our A32, it was on the hard about 180 miles from home.  First weekend staying on the boat, sleep was brutal.  I woke up actually in pain.  The foam thickness on the double berth is 4" but that didn't help these old bones.  We knew our trip home would be at least 8 days so I bought a 4"Lucid Bamboo Charcoal  memory foam topper and cut it to shape in the boat yard.

We ended up spending 10 straight days on the boat, 3 at the yard/marina and 7 on the trip back.  Comfort was almost as good as our full flotation waterbed.  We haven't gotten to addressing our cushions so the temporary topper remains.  What's interesting is neither of us has even mentioned the need to install a proper cushion. 

I realize this is not an ideal solution for sleeping berth cushions but it certainly works.
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA