Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 331 times)

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Winterizing
« on: October 15, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »
Just a reminder to use FULL strength anti freeze to run through your engine as the 50-50 stuff does not work since it mixes with the water and ends up much less freeze proof.   I learned this the hard way with an engine rebuild to do one spring.   I am sure most people know this, but do check the label.
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Jackrabbit

Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »
Good point.  I usually run 4 gallons of straight plumber's antifreeze (the pink stuff) through the Westerbeke with the boat  on the hard. The key here is to run copious amounts of of anti-freeze so you don't just end up diluting it with residual water in the heat exchanger and the water lift muffler, which can hold a significant volume.  Ideally you should drain the water from the latter two areas first, though I haven't bothered and have made out ok.

For raw water-cooled boats (i.e., without a heat exchanger with internal anti-freeze) remember that you need to run the engine until its warm (i.e., while boat is still in the water) before sticking the intake hose in the antifreeze to make sure that the thermostat is open and the stuff actually circulates in the block.  I knew a guy who had a raw water-cooled Atomic 4 and ran the antifreeze through when the engine was cold, and had a cracked block in the Spring.  He was perplexed as he had seen the pink stuff coming out of the exhaust, until he was informed that what he saw was merely antifreeze by-passing the engine and going directly to the exhaust. 

SailorTim

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
Bruce,
The 50-50 formula anti-freeze usually refers to the stuff that goes into the radiator, etc.  You don't want to put that stuff into the environment.  For the raw water system, you can use stuff rated to 50 below (usually pink) or stuff rated to -100 (commonly blue or purple). 

I put a gallon of the -100 stuff in and followed it with about a gallon of -50.   I'll let you know if it proves too little.

Tim
Grosse Pointe, MI

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
I prefer the engine stuff but I hear you on the environmental issue and I collect the spill out the exhaust and dispose of it through the marina's toxic collections procedures.   The best Canadian Tire has in plumbers antifreeze is -60 and unless you flush several gallons of it as some do, I think it is a risk when it mixes with the water in the system. 
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32