Author Topic: Canada Day 2020 Aloha Decorating Contest  (Read 377 times)

Sawlty Dawg

Canada Day 2020 Aloha Decorating Contest
« on: June 29, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
We are having a boat decorations contest at the Vernon Yacht Club for Canada Day as its something we can do while still social distancing.

If anyone else is planning on flying something patriotic on Canada Day post pics, the best decorated and most patriotic will be awarded a certificate that can be proudly displayed on your wall at home replacing that embarrassing wedding photo you currently have hanging there.

Contest closes July 6th so get your photos in by then.

Sawlty.

(I have just appointed Bill Hutton as judge so you can be assured it will all be above board)

tmack

• RYC
Re: Canada Day 2020 Aloha Decorating Contest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:39:14 AM »
Here on Rainy Lake we hear rumors of a mythical land to the north of us.  Some say if you sail too far north and cross the dashed line on the chart you enter a mystical place called Canada, while others talk of sea monsters or the possibility of sailing off the end of the earth.  I'm not sure about the whole sailing off the edge of the earth thing, but I have glimpsed the sea monsters.  They look a lot like US border patrol craft.  A few are even stranger, having a red and white insignia in the shape of a maple leaf.

In all seriousness, Rainy Lake straddles the Minnesota / Ontario border and it has been a bust of a season.  Our club (Rendezvous Yacht Club) has had to suspend operations for this season.  Our member ship is 50/50 Canadian/American.  I haven't seen half my friends in months.  On the US side, we have boats in, but we are limited to only 1/3rd of the lake, since most  of it is on the Canadian side.  However, that's better than for our Canadian friends to the north.  Most keep their boats on the hard here in the States during the off season, so their boats are stranded over here, while they are stuck at home.

Maybe today I'll pull out that red and white maple leaf flag I've not used yet this year and fly it as a protest flag in protest of this miserable virus.

Happy Canada Day to all to the north!  Missing you down here to the south.

SailorTim

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:20:22 AM »
Happy Canada Day to our friends to the north, or in the case of Lake St. Clair, to the east.

I wish you would let us back into your waters.

I wish we deserved to be let back into your waters.

Tim Bledsoe
Grosse Pointe, MI

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »
Was a cold rainy Canada day here in Vernon B.C. at VYC but we made the best of it with a judicious application of enthusiasm and Amazon's best bunting, Mrs Dawg got all gussied up too to match the boat and show her patriotism (well she also organized the whole thing so....)

We did manage to award a marvelous plaque to Bob and Sarah of Blues in Sea a Columbia 36 who did a spectacular job, Bob immediately inquired if he would be able to return it to the club next year, we said 'NO!'.

Sawlty

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
Hope everyone had a great Canada Day

I decorated by replacing the mast with a flag, doesn't get any better than that! Lol

Now if I could only go sailing with it..

Jeff
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Hey Jeff, that ICW “stache” came off? Lol.

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
Damn, figured I was going to win the contest by default (and for spectacular decorating) but Jeff's boat is looking pretty darn festive and tastefully done.

Sawlty

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Ok the contest is closed, didn't hear from Bill Hutton but it doesn't really matter as we only has two entries and one of them was me so I am disqualified so that means the Jeff is the winner for doing a fantastic job on his 32 Elixer V.

Congratulations Jeff your award is attached.

Salwty

Oh and I signed it for Bill Hutton as he must be off sailing somewhere.

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »
I'd like to thank the academy and the members of the forum and member of our club... (Fade out music...)
We proudly displayed our prize in the cockpit. Can't wait to defend the title next year. Haha

We did finally get our mast up after spending three weeks rebuilding our mast step. Keep an eye out for a write up on that project.

Chris, I used a starbrite rust and stain remover and it disappeared. Must be some kind of acid. So easy. No more evidence of the icw.

Happy sailing everyone
Aloha 32 Elixir V

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »
Nicely done.

Sawlty

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »
Sorry guys....... I will have to step down from the academy of judges.  The boats looked great and I'm afraid to say Liam should have taken it in a walk.
Bill H
Bill Hutton

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:49:24 PM »
Well my boat did look fantastic.

Jeff.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 12:04:10 PM »
Definitely in the top two entries..
Aloha 32 Elixir V