Author Topic: A32 - dodger options and pictures  (Read 2146 times)

cedric

A32 - dodger options and pictures
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:47:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking at the option to change my dodger. The canvas is not in a great shape and leak. Since I will change the canvas, I was also thinking at changing the design of it. At the moment, it quite big and make the access to the deck awkward.
So I was wondering if anyone had any good advice and tip to keep in mind while designing a dodger?
If you have a dodger, what do you like or dislike about yours?
Also could you post a picture of your dodger so I can find some inspiration?

The positive of my dodger:
- it's big and protect well the companion way and a good portion of the cockpit.
- I can see through when I'm standing behind the helm and look over when I'm standing on the bench behind the helm.
- I can open the middle panel to let the air go trough on an hot day

Cons:
- the side panel come too far in the cockpit making it awkward to leave it.
- the hand rail on the side should be on top to not be in the way when you leave the cockpit.
- the canvas on top make it hard to install solar panel on top (I'm living full time on the boat)

At the moment, I'm considering to put an hard top with canvas on the side. I would like to be able to fully remove the canvas when I don't need it.

Have a great day!
Aloha 32 - Aquarrelle

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Re: A32 - dodger options and pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
Mine is similar to yours but perhaps a little lower profile since I can see over it from behind the wheel and not have t look through it.   Genco did mine many years ago, and they have replaced the windows a couple of times since I had bad luck with a pine pollen episode that clouded up the lexan and could not be removed. (I went back to plastic). I have used a waterproofing a few times as well that seems to work well.  I am sure Genco still has the measurements for A32 but perhaps yours is also a Genco dodger?    Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

cedric

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
I don't know who made my dodger... I'm in Vancouver island, if I use a company, I will probably go with some of the local one and bring the person that will do the work on the boat. I want to be sure that everything is know when they make the dodger. My current dodger is in the way of the spinlock of my lines. Not a big problem but it can get annoying.

Do you have any picture of your boat? I'm thinking at lowering the dodger so I can look over it and having an example could help me decide if I do it or not. I will built a fake dodger in cardboard to try it but having an image of the finish could help.

Thanks, cedric
Aloha 32 - Aquarrelle

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 08:46:57 AM »
I can suggest a few “absolute must have” features (at least for me).

First is design. If you look at my pic you will see that the sides are almost completely Strataglass. No canvas, zip outs, Windows,  etc. This provides the best visibility I have ever had from any boat I’ve sailed.

Next is Strataglass (or equiv) over vinyl. It’s like looking through a glass window. Unparalleled visibility.

Third is the center panel design. We often need this out for ventilation or back for rain. Our design unzips at the sides and bottom. Result is that you flip it up and onto the dodger top. Takes seconds instead of full removal or rolling up and straps/snaps.

Next is height. It’s at my eye height so I can either look through it or see over it (when connector is unzipped). I don’t like the full height dodgers whenin rain or fogged up - no way to see where you are going.

Everyone has their favorite canvas shop. I like Genco. Decent price and a huge operation that’s been in business over 30 years. This has let them see how their products age and wear so they can continually improve their design. Something few others can claim.

I also know a few places to avoid (and many even like them - weird) but that’s for a private email. I won’t disparage any company on a public forum.

Chris

PS I can take more pics later if you want. Currently anchored in the Bay of Quinte (Deseronto).
Chris, Teliki, A32

cedric

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
I like your doger! Thank you for the pictures.
The visibility on the side seems amazing and I wish my vinyl would be that clear...
Thank you for you point of view, it help to get as much point of view as possible.

Quick questions:
-Having the side coming so far in the cockpit doesn't brother you when you need to leave the cockpit?
-Do you have all your line bring back to the cockpit? Currently some of my line are leading aft and some are at the mast... So if I want to Reef, I need to go back and fore to do it. I need to fix that and and didn't decide yet between cockpit or mast setup...
- when you say eyes height, do you mean a little lower than your eyes so you can see above most of the time but can see through when you are sitting?

My dodger is always up and currently, I'm actually thinking to maybe go with a full hard dodger... I need to find some big cardbox to do a fake one to see what is look like...
Aloha 32 - Aquarrelle

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
The sides are not a problem. Good protection from cold winds and very private when the covers are in place (over the Strataglass).

I have most lines leading to cockpit. Exception is front reefing line. I have tried all varients of single line reefing and didn't like any. The version using blocks at the grommets was marginally better but not that great. I find that I can drop the main halyard, pop the grommet through the reefing hook (at the gooseneck) and be back in the cockpit in ten seconds. Then it's just pulling in the rear reefing line back in the cockpit.

Dodger is not directly in my line of sight, maybe 6 inches lower (I could measure)?

Speaking of a hardtop, this is probably the best example of one on an A32. I don't have his website URL but he did go into detail as to it's construction. He even incorporated whell storage into it.

https://sailingtexas.com/201701/saloha32101.html

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »
A little late coming to the party but, if you're still looking for input, here's my 2 cents.

The attached picture was taken after we brought the boat home, in May 2019.  First summer we sailed with the dodger and bimini up.  It was great for escaping the brutal sun but not so great going forward or down into the cabin.  It has a strut between the dodger and bimini and hard pipe to the deck, which makes the frames very solid. 

But, because of the narrow space between the dodger and bimini frames, boarding the boat was difficult.  The top of the dodger is right at my eye level and it drove me nuts.  I either had to stoop or stand on tip toes to see forward.  Going below required paying close attention to the dodger framing.

Because the bimini has a solar panel on it, we couldn't sew in a window to see the shape of the main.  Personal preference, I suppose, but I like to see the sails.  Under the bimini there was plenty of headroom. 

With the hard pipe connecting dodger and bimini and both to the decking, you can't fold them back when you want them out of the way.  On our return trip we had some pretty good blows and everything held up well.  But we're most likely going to get rid of the hard pipe and replace it with polyester straps.  Then make some covers for the dodger and bimini.     

When Dorian was threatening last year, we removed all the canvas and tied back the framing.  It's been that way ever since. 
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »
Julie.   That picture of Kialoha, your A32, looks like you do not have the fixed ports at the rear of the cabin like other A32s.  Do you have all opening port holes and no fixed ones?    I thought my A32, Okaga, was the only one to come out of the factory with all opening port holes.
Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Julie M

• Julimor Creations
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »
Bruce, the four (4) large aft ports on our boat are fixed.  All the rest are opening, including two facing the cockpit.
Julie
A32-67 - KIALOHA

cedric

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi Julie,

I appreciate your feedback, I didn't made any change yet. I do understand your problem, some of my issue with my dodger are the same than your. Luckily my Bimini is attached to the dodger with webbing strap so I can fold the Bimini back and see the sail.

Thanks for the pictures and feedback!
Aloha 32 - Aquarrelle