Author Topic: Current value of aloha 32?  (Read 1514 times)

JimInPB

Current value of aloha 32?
« on: January 09, 2022, 06:42:52 AM »
I have been approached by someone with an immediate need about possibly selling my Aloha 32.  I am now scrambling to determine a fair market value.  Can anyone here share some recent selling prices or provide opinions on this subject?

Thanks,
Jim

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
Re: Current value of aloha 32?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »
My 1987 A32 was surveyed for insurance purposes this fall.  He put the value as "above average condition" with a market value of about $37,000.   Condition or equipment does not seem to enter into it, only the recent market price of sales of similar boats.
Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

JimInPB

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
Thank you.

The sale of my boat is probably not going to happen due to the immediate-need buyer wanting a boat with a keel hung rudder, but this is great information to have in my back pocket in case another interested party comes along. 

Your number translates to roughly $30k USD, if that was CAD you were referring to.  The number I had in mind was in line with that, less a little bit for the few things my boat needs done to her at this time. 

It's nice to have a reality check that is in line with my expectations. 

Alexa

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 09:10:39 AM »
I recently had a thorough survey. Keep in mind that there is a significant difference between the NADA estimate and the BUC. BUC is based on North Atlantic condition. Later model freshwater examples in average to above-average condition will retail much higher.

Good time to sell which I hope I never need to.

Alexa

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 09:30:09 AM »
And if you're a brave soul you can take on a project. Good video with an excellent history of Aloha Yachts from Captain Q. https://youtu.be/rPmrswokDjM

Holdech

• Administrator
  • S/V Teliki, HYC - Toronto ON
    • Our sailing site
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
Looks like he summarized the history posted on the main Aloha Owners site (and used the pics too). Lots more info and pics here:
https://www.alohaowners.com/history/

Chris
Chris, Teliki, A32

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 01:18:52 PM »
iBy the mid 80s, Ouyang was out and Candian Yacht Charters had owned the factory with several years of manufacture under their belt.  Too bad the history ended with the Ouyang group. 
Under CYC, there were 3 partners who also ran the charter business in Gore Bay, Manitoulin Is.  They made a very good try to made the building of their boats work.  Howevr, by the late 80s, they were in trouble.  In 1987, when I bought my bought from the factory, they customized it to my specifications,, with little extra cost,and allowed me to visit to observe the production of my boat. But financially, the wwriting was clearly on the wall.  In fact, when I took delivery,,in the Aloha yard, all three partners were there to accept my cheque!   I had my boat moved off site the next day  to prevent posible seizure inside their yard if they were foreclosed and padlocked.  They kept
 the operation going for another year or so before the end came.
 Unfortunately, Aloha was not the only sailboat builder in Ontario that could not survive.  A combination of sky high interest rates and tough enviroment clean air rugulations ( they would need hugh fans and other equipment to suck funes from the recently molded hulls) left these small Ontario builders unable to survive.  With CYC, one of the owners continues to operate the charter business in Gore Bay;  one slipped into depression and alcholism and died and I lost track of the third owner. 
They did build quality boats while they lasted. 
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Alexa

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 09:06:07 AM »
Thanks for completion of the story, Bruce. Interesting that there was customization done. I wondered why mine is missing the settee extension on the port side and the extra door for shower.

CYC certainly kept up the quality that Ouyang established even though they recognized the inevitable. Admirable and tragic. Too bad it happened during the Mulroney years. Other governments might have actually offered some help instead of watching an important Canadian industry collapse.