Author Topic: "Yachts" vanity license plate  (Read 3269 times)

alohaoa

"Yachts" vanity license plate
« on: December 23, 2006, 01:58:17 AM »

Attached is a card signed by Mao and Spike, date unknown.

Seeing mention of Spike (as well as being stuck behind a car on Ontario plates in traffic yesterday) reminded me of a story which former Ouyang employee Dave Patriarche sent me. We used to have this on one of the earlier Aloha Owners Association forums, but newer members may not have seen it before.

Apparently, Spike [Nagel], who was Aloha sales coordinator, was quite a flamboyant character and used to drive a Corvette for which he wanted personal plates, so he got "Yachts".  He was very excited on the day they arrived .... then he read them!

Ontario         
            YACHTS
       Yours to Discover

Oops! Not Spike's intention, given that Ontario Yachts were manufacturers of 28 & 32 foot sailboats in direct competition to the Alohas!
AOA co-Webmaster

BobWinter

• Winter Home Page
Re: "Yachts" vanity license plate
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:42:45 PM »
Some years back, the State of New Hampshire put its state motto ("Live Free or Die") on the top of their license plates, with the name of the state on the bottom.  Some enterprising person chose the vanity plate "WITHIN", which was fine until, the next year, New Hampshire switched the locations of the motto and the state name (they are now back to the original positions). . . I imagine the owner of the WITHIN plates was pretty bummed!
Bob Winter

A 30 # 10