Author Topic: Engine's a goner - maybe sell the boat?  (Read 3478 times)

marshp01

Engine's a goner - maybe sell the boat?
« on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
After taking some time off for the holidays and then revisiting the engine problem on SeaDreams, we have come to the inescapable conclusion that we have a blown engine. Compression is gone, and the rings have probably collapsed. I'm bummed, sigh....

So, now I have a bit of a predicament. I can either have a yard repower the boat since I'm not skilled enough to do it myself; which will probably cost an arm and both legs or I can bolt on an outboard. I'm actually not terribly inclined to do either.

Which brings me to me option 3. I'm thinking I'll sell her at a very reasonable price to someone who can do the engine work themselves. She's in great shape except for the engine with a new bottom job last year. I'll take a loss on the boat, someone else gets an awesome deal. Before I list it, I thought I'd post this and see if anyone that monitors this forum in the western US might be interested in having a chat about it? She's located in Monterey, CA presently but could get trucked anywhere.

Any interest, feel free to email me at marshp01@pacbell.net and I'll give you a phone to call.

Regards, Marshall

Dennis

Re: Engine's a goner - maybe sell the boat?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
Hi Marshal,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the boat, or at least the engine.
Very frustrating!!!

Here in Victoria, the mechanics are advertising a relative newcomer on the market, Sole Diesel's.
They are from Spain. Here is their main web site.
The dealer locator part of their site does not seem to be working, but it might be worth checking into
http://www.solediesel.com/english/sole+diesel/

Sounds like you are out of pocket no matter how you cut the cake.
Best of luck with that

Dennis

alohaoa

Re: Engine's a goner - maybe sell the boat?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42:10 AM »
Have you investigated rebuilding the existing engine? Provided it is basically sound with no other major problems, I would have thought a rebore, new pistons and rings and new bearings should cost a lot less then re-engining and give it many more years life

Keith
AOA co-Webmaster