Author Topic: Mast Boot  (Read 8391 times)

closereach32

Mast Boot
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:11:36 PM »
The p.o. had an interesting solution for stopping the mast from leaking on my 32. From inside the boat he stuffed what appears to be a chaulking with the consistency of potato salad and foam rubber into the collar. Needless to say the mast leaked for a long period of time, which has resulted in damage to the cabin table and floor. I've removed the table shortly after purchasing the boat in Sept. and have started rebuilding the floor. The actual mast boot is falling apart. There is some sort of blue plastic material on the top of the collar and running up the mast slightly, that is peeling off. Looks like shrink wrap. Hard to tell, as there is a ton of silicone with more potato salad in the top of the collar. The whole thing is a mess,that I'm slowly cleaning up. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a mast boot that works. I don't want to pull the mast, unless there is no other choice. Thanks.

querbach

Re: Mast Boot
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:20:51 AM »
Ick.

We just put on a "Universal Mast Boot" from Sailing Specialties this fall.  It was about CDN$40 from West Marine.

The boot went on easily and seems to work fine.  If your mast is out of the boat, you can slip it on whole, otherwise you cut it and glue it back together with the magic goo supplied in the kit.  The top and bottom are secured with giant hose clamps, also available from West Marine.  We added just a little 3M 4200 around the top and in the mast track to complete the seal.

Sorry I can't say how long it will last, but judging by the material used, I'm expecting  perhaps five years before having to do it again.

Regards,

David Querbach
Aloha 32 #22, "China Girl"

musrum

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:41:51 AM »
Another solution that works _very_ well, but must be done
carefully to avoid an eyesore.  This was done by a dockmate
on his Pearson 38, and is recommended by the local boat
repair/refinish outfit.

Wrap a wide Ace bandage around the mast and the flange
on the mast collar.  You need only a couple of plies.  Get
a nice level even wrap at the top especially.  Use fine
thread to secure the Ace.  Mask off the mast a small distance
above the Ace, and around the base. Thoughroughly 'paint'
the Ace with that 'instant tool handle' rubbery dip that you
can find at any hardware store.

It's cheap, easy to remove, and it _won't_ ever leak.  You
need to work fast to get a decent finish, but it isn't very
hard to do.

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »
I have also used the Universal mast boot on my 32 and it has been great for the last 10 years.  However, I found that water was coming down the inside of the mast either from the top (through the sheaves during wind driven rain) or in a gap on the front  mast groove, above the boot. It would then pool on the mast step where it was absorbed via capilliary action into the under side of the floor board, which was in contact with the edge of the mast step.  I solved this problem by cutting ( them lining the cut with epoxy) a channel across the lip of the mast step to let water drain away into the bilge.  Check that out by lifting the central floor board immediately aft of the mast.  No need to remove the mast.  Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

closereach32

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »
 :D Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. Soon as we get warm enough I'll fix the problem. For now I'll let it drip into a pale on the floor.

closereach32

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:38:42 AM »
I have a few more questions regarding my mess at the mast partner. Now that I've got most of the gunk out, I've noticed a problem. There is silicone spread around the rim of the mast partner at the deck. I'm assuming that this means it was leaking. I'm going to pull the mast in the spring and rebed the whole works. I've also noticed that the chocks inside the boat are set starboard and port. I always thought these were put in fore and aft. I'm unfamiliar with removing a keel-stepped mast. Just wondering if I could get a few tips and see if anyone in the group has ever re-bed the mast partners. Thanks again.

musrum

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
I've never rebedded mast partners, but I have rebedded mast steps
on deck stepped boats.  The biggest hassle is getting the thing off in
the first place, and cleaning up all the old bedding/caulking/sealing
compounds.  For something like a partner (something that you won't
be rebedding frequently,) I might use 4200 or similar.  I only use
silicone type sealer for something like the trim plates at the chainplates,
which I reseal every year. 

If you partner has through-holes through the deck, it is a good idea to
drill them out slightly over size, then countersink both sides.  Put
tape over the bottom hole, and fill with epoxy with enough filler to make
it mayonnaise thick.  Check out http://www.westsystem.com for more
information.

After the epoxy is cured, re-drill the through holes, finish the top and
bottom ends of the 'plugs', and you are good to go.  Don't forget to seal
the exposed core in the big hole either!

There should be chocks all around the mast, not just either fore and
aft or port and starboard.  The port/starboard chocks should be set
to keep the mast in column.  The fore and aft chocks are set (along
with the step position, and forward lower shrouds,) to achieve the
desired mast pre-bend.

closereach32

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks again. I'll make sure to do the job right. The deck passed survey but from what I have read the mast partner is one of the key areas for water intrusion. From what I can see it appears that there is no space for chocks fore and aft. The ring is tight against the mast. Maybe pre-bend wasn't an issue in 83. If any other owners have a partner like this, let me know. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the partner with one that allows more adjustment.

RMK

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
You removed the salon table from your 32? Is she the salon forward model with storage area and no v-berth? Want to sell the table? If so, I recently purchased a 32 and she came without the salon table and I want to replace it without having one built.
RMK

musrum

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »
From what I can see it appears that there is no space for chocks fore and aft. The ring is tight against the mast. Maybe pre-bend wasn't an issue in 83. If any other owners have a partner like this, let me know. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the partner with one that allows more adjustment.

Hmmm, mine is an 87 V-berth, and there is about half an inch (at least). maybe 3/4
all around. The only way to move the foot of my mast would be to re-bed the step.
This is true of most aluminum mast boats.  So chocking in the partner is the only
way to adjust the initial rake.  Mine has a Cinkle (sp?) mast.

That means that there is no way to adjust rake and prebend of your mast.  You can
adjust prebend only by the stays, but the initial rake would be fixed.  Unless you can
move the foot on your boat.