Author Topic: Replace original fiberglass hatch  (Read 8078 times)

ecaz

Replace original fiberglass hatch
« on: May 13, 2007, 01:25:16 PM »
Has anyone successfully found a replacement hatch for the original fiberglass hatch at the front of the boat? Mine is about out of life, and I am looking for a replacement. This is a '73 8.5 (28) Thanks!

hatch seems to be an odd shape, with long sides that slide over the fiberglass hull cutouts, if that makes any sense =)

GCOLLINS

Re: Replace original fiberglass hatch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi!
I'm not familiar with the setup on the 8.5, is it custom fitted to the opening?  Is the opening in the deck flat and does it have a wide enough section that you could bolt a hatch frame onto it?

The 8.2 has a flat opening with a hatch bolted onto it.  I'm intimately familiar with it because I just replaced the old hatch - it was looking ratty and leaked like crazy.  If the same option is available (requires about 3/4" wide flat lip around the opening to fasten the hatch onto), you can get custom sized hatches or if you are lucky (as I was) one that happens to be the right size.  marinershardware.com

If - as I'm guessing - that's not an available option for you, and the existing fiberglass is unique to the 8.5, I'd say the options are to modify the deck opening (yech!) or to get a new hatch fabricated in fiberglass.  Using the old hatch as a template for a mold, any reasonably reputable glass shop should be able to make something up.

Good luck!
 - Graham

ecaz

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »
I'm guessing it's option number 2.

Yeah, it's molded around the deck opening, that is raised and looks custom for this boat.

Gypsy28

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
Just wondering if you ever found a replacement hatch for the A28?

If you did, I'm interested in the structure of the original hatch opening. I'm assuming the opening for the hatch was made from plywood covered with fiberglass. 

"Gypsy"
Aloha 28 (#91)

Bud

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
I have a 1973 A28 with the original hatch. If you need pics, or dimensions let me know. I actually wanted to eventually replace the original with a good Bomar or similar hatch. The one I have is fine, so I'll wait to replace it. Let me know if I can help.

bud elkin
Free Willy

Gypsy28

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
Hi Bud.  I have a slight leak at the corner of the hatch opening, and I'm trying to trace where it is coming from.  I'm interested in the deck construction to get an idea of how much damage it could be doing.  I'm guessing that the forms around the hatch opening are plywood and the deck is balsa core.  It's sunny this weekend so I'm going to head down to the boat and see if I can figure out where it is coming from.  The water that comes through the leak is dark brown, and is very slow.

As for replacing the hatch, I've looked through various suppliers when I run across them but I haven't seen any hatch with the same dimensions.  I mentioned replacing it to another sailor who said they would prefer the molded hatch since it wouldn't leak.  They have a manufactured hatch in their foredeck and have trouble keeping it leak free. I guess the grass is always greener...

Andrew
"Gypsy"
Aloha 28 (#91)

Bud

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
Andrew,
I snapped a few pics of my hatch that may or may not be helpful. My hatch area is not pretty, but it doesn't leak either. I would surmise that if it were leaking that it would be very plausible that the leak is coming from the rear arc area.

bud...

Gypsy28

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »
Thanks Bud.  I think I've traced the leak back to the electrical through deck fittings at the base of the mast.  I've re-seated them but there is still water slowly coming out at the hatch.  I'm guessing it travelled down the seam in the core to  the hatch frame.  The deck is sealed now but there is still water coming through.  I'm hoping this is water that got in earlier and is going to dry up soon. :-\  It's only a few drips a day.
"Gypsy"
Aloha 28 (#91)

lazyjacks

• I'm the 2nd owner of a 1985 Aloha 27 hull#169
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
The hatch your'e describing was common in the 60s & early 70s.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's essentially like a shoebox with the box being the hatch opening in the deck or cabin, consisting of a molded curb and the hatch being similar to the top of a shoe box-4 sides & a top with the sides coming down outside the sides/curb when closed. Usually the fibreglass center of the top has no pigment to let light in.  Over time UV degrades the unpigmented surface turning it a brown-yellow.  I had a similar hatch on an old Bristol & I think they were common on Pearson 30s.  Altho, they don't look as sharp as a modern extruded metal & acrylic hatch they work well & will last forever, if you don't mind the cosmetics.  They will leak when green water coming over the deck runs up under the lid, but that can be solved with a rubber gasket on top of the curb.  If the shape is odd it will be impossible to fit a aluminum & acrylic hatch without extensive glass work to the opening.  Aluminum & acrylic hatches have their own set of problems such as the plastic crazing from UV and leaks at the caulked seam where the clear plastic is attached to the metal frame which expands & cotracts at a different rate than the plastic glazing.