Author Topic: replacing the sole of the 27  (Read 7062 times)

sleeper1

replacing the sole of the 27
« on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
Has anyone ever replaced the teak and holly sole of a 27.  Any tips, hidden problems would be appriated. Its this year's project...
Ellen

GCOLLINS

Re: replacing the sole of the 27
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
Not I.  Take pics!  The projects pages on the Aloha site don't seem to get added to very often.  I'm going to write up my electrical project.

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
Ellen,
Can it not be refinished?  Mine turned out great.
Bill Hutton - BHYC
Bill Hutton

Melusina

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »
I refinished the sole of my 32 last year- came out great- but over the winter several unsightly black spots have appeared.  Has anybody tried the Teak and Holly vinyl products that are available?--I love the natural look of the real thing but every year I am having to strip, bleach and re-finish sections of my cabin sole.  --Tom Dawes

closereach32

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 07:10:45 PM »
Hi Ellen. I decided to replace the floor in my 32. What I found was the Teak&Holly ply quality was low and the price was high. I decided to lay the floor with Teak strips and caulk. Basically the same way a deck is put down. The floor has good grip and will last for years. Here is a picture. If you need details, I'll explain how I did it.

hanleyjt

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »
That looks great can you explain the details to us?

Jim Hanley :D

GCOLLINS

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
Holy Crap, Closereach32, that's a FLOOR.  Last for years?  I'm thinking a bit longer...

How did you fasten it, glue, or screws? 

Sounds like a serious project - but if you intend to own the boat for the long term, a "do it once" project...  I'm impressed.  I'd have gone with the plywood...

sleeper1

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:53:02 PM »
I refinished the sole of my 32 last year- came out great- but over the winter several unsightly black spots have appeared.  Has anybody tried the Teak and Holly vinyl products that are available?--I love the natural look of the real thing but every year I am having to strip, bleach and re-finish sections of my cabin sole.  --Tom Dawes

Tom, you talked about strip, bleach, do you sand the floor?  What is the procedure you used.  I always just sanded the floor.  What type of stripper and bleach have you used? Thanks for your response,  Ellen.

sleeper1

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
To Tom who has refinished his floor....what did you use to stirp, and bleach?  I've always sanded the floor.  I too have unsightly black marks.  Can you tell me a little about the procedure you used...thanks, Ellen

closereach32

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »
I found a great little business on Vancouver Island by the name of Island Teak. They supply deck striping and all the instructions you need. http://www.island-teak.com/
Basically, what I did was take my old floor home and use it as a template for the new floor. I screwed the strips down on the old floor, cut off the overhangs and then took them back to the boat. I sanded the fiberglass pan and put the strips down with West System. After this I caulked and oiled the floor. I'm not going to finish, preferring to have good grip.
I'm kind of busy right now getting things ready for the season but when I get a chance I'll make up a step by step description, including mistakes. This is a winter project for anyone who is looking for a long lasting floor.