Author Topic: stuffing box  (Read 17046 times)

Bob Brown

Re: stuffing box
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 09:48:40 AM »
Thanks David. The previous owner of my boat also had an oil feed going into the fitting. I have just attached a vinyl tubing to the fitting and when I launched the boat yesterday, the water rises up into the tubing to the water level. I assume therefore that water is around both seals. I haven't yet had the boat out to test it running at speed. It seems to me if the water level stays up in the tube, I should be ok for cooling. How long did your seals last without any form of cooling or lubrication?
Bob, DonnaJay 8.2 #100

davidharpur

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 06:26:17 AM »
 Hi Rob. My original shaft Seal is still okay in that it does not leak.

I did not ever have water come back up the tube . This would provide some cooling though it is probably very small flow and it is a small cavity so I am not sure how much cooling this will provide. You will be better able to test this yourself by running it and monitoring it.
David Harpur
Aloha 8.2 #105 "Gypsy Girl"

nmunnery

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »
I have just replaced my old stuffing box that was leaking (the original I think) with a PSS box. It went together fine and although I have only used the motor twice since installation, there are no problems yet. I haven't even had the fine spray that is considered usual for the first few hours.

Norm (Smyril)

Bob Brown

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
Hi Norm. Did you have any trouble getting a PSS box to fit? The stumbling block I keep running into is that the shaft is 25mm and the stern tube is about 2 3/8 inches diameter. None of the standard sizes seem to fit. Where did you get yours?
Bob on DonnaJay 8.2 #100

davidharpur

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »
I installed my PSS seal in 2001 and used  PYI standard part 01-25M-212 which is for 25mm shaft & 2 1/2" log tube and this fit perfectly.

David Harpur
Aloha 8.2 #105
Gypsy Girl
David Harpur
Aloha 8.2 #105 "Gypsy Girl"