Author Topic: Roll Call  (Read 16726 times)

Dennis

Roll Call
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Well the new forum has just reached the 100 mark, perhaps still a long way to go to have nearly 400 owners registered but heh, this seems to be cause for some sort of celebration.
It's interesting to see all the names people use to register, some plain (like mine), others very cryptic. There are some obvious boat names etc .
I got to wondering, just who we all really are?
Care to identify yourself?
Lets see who all these folks really are, the boats they own and where they live and sail etc.

For me, well my registered name is me, Dennis, Dennis Clarke , my boat is an Aloha (of course) 28, POLARIS, and I live in and sail out of Victoria BC

So how about you ?

Cheers

Dennis
..._/)*...

Cardius

Re: Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 04:33:40 PM »
well my registered name is Cardius, name Darryl Simmons, my boat is B'witched, and I sail out of Belleville Ontario

GCOLLINS

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »
Hi Dennis
user ID gcollins = Graham Collins, sailing A27 #37, the Tardis.  We sail in and around Halifax harbor, May to October.  Currently I'm working in the basement, refinishing parts of the head area - the door and the sink counter.  I hope to have the tarps off the boat in a couple of weeks, weather premitting.

a28bliss

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:35:27 PM »
Luckily we just hit 101 members so I don't feel so bad that I set up "A28bliss" as my "private" id as well as "alohaoa" for the admin function!

We're about to move our A28 "Bliss" #135 back from Point Roberts Marina (just over the US border from here) to Thunderbird Marina in West Vancouver. Although we pretend we get lots of all year round boating in, I've only been out once since the beginning of November and am really looking forward to the rain stopping, and the season getting properly underway.

In terms of signed up members, the old Sailnet List used to report that we had around 200 email addresses signed up, but because we had no admin control we never knew who these were and many could have been "guests" who lurked there for a while to find out more about Alohas (which, of course, we welcome) and also obsolete email addresses of people who had subsequently added another more up-to-date account. The immediately preceding Yahoo Group reached about 120, and hopefully this new Forum will reach the same or more over the next few weeks. Both these previous lists only had about 30 - 40 people who posted regularly, and I hope a greater number than this will feel comfortable posting questions or sharing their experience and advice on this forum.

Keith

alohaoa

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:54:39 PM »
It's interesting to see all the names people use to register, some plain (like mine), others very cryptic.

A further thought on this is that if members prefer to use a "cryptic" id for ease of login, etc but are willing to share details of who they are, they can include their name and/or details of their boat in a couple of places. Using the "Profile" button and then clicking on "Forum Profile Information" in the "Modify Profile" menu, there are 2 fields "Personal Text" and "Signature" where this information could be provided.

valkyrie

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
Bill and Chris Fleming from Tuscarora Yacht Club in Wilson, NY (www.tycwilson.com). We sail our A32 Valkyrie with our two little ones Lauren (6) and Anna (4).
Wilson is also home to A32 Celebration, Paul and Julie Bukowski. If you ever get a chance to cruise the south shore of Lake Ontario stop in Wilson.
It is a wonderful harbor, well worth stopping in. We can often be seen at the west end of the lake or in the Toronto area during the summer as well.

Thanks for the great work!

Tom Meagher

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 08:33:13 PM »
Hi

Tom Meagher, i believe that I may have regerstered as Tomm. I have an A-28 # 30, Marangai, which I have owned since 1982, a great boat. We have sailed all around the Atlantic provinces, presently based in Sydney, Nova Scotia.  I look forward to this new service increasing & as the prep season is just around the corner, expect activity to drastically increase.

Good Sailing

Tom
Marangai
A-28 #30

Whimsy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:27:39 AM »
Hi Dennis

Whimsy here, which is Chris & Niki Davison of Martins River (Mahone Bay) NS.  Whimsy is our first sailbaoat she is an A32.  I have been sailing for 20 years off and on, on both coast and recently have return to Nova Scota from a 8 year stay in Alberta. As you can image there isn't alot of sailing on the Prairies so its good to be back home.

This is a great forum and website for Ahoha owners.  I did alot of research on the site before we bought Whimsy.

Cheers

aloha27

• Steve, Patti and Grace (Ship's Cat) A27 #39
    • Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 02:26:13 PM »
Aloha all! We're Steve, Patti and Grace (Ship's Cat) sailing out of Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club in Tatamagouche NS. We had the distinction of having six A 27's here, but sadly that number has dwindled to two in the past three years. Tom, we'll be heading to the Bras d'Ors in July/August. Hope we can see you there!

Steve, Patti and Grace
A27 #39
Sailing is a contact sport and involves some inherent risk. Now quit whining and gybe the damn boat

bennyandemma

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »
Hi,  My name is Joyce and and my husband Joel and I are owners of an A32 "Panacea", from Boston, MA. We moved here last July from Gloucester, MA, where we kept our boat for 7 years in the inner harbor and where I wish we still lived.  Of course, when we visited NS, I wished that I lived in nearly every town that we visited there also, as they reminded me in some ways of Gloucester.  We are now looking for a slip in this area.

Aloha27Norm

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
Aloha all.  Norm and Cheryl here, sailing A27 #133 since last Aug out of Port Credit Harbour Marina on Lake Ontario.  She's currently named Braveheart, but we'll probably change her name this year to "Honah Lee".  And from the Planet Believe-it-or-Not, our house is up for sale and we plan to start living aboard.  Yep, on a A27 and yes, even in the winter and yes, in Toronto (Mississauga, actually).

Jim Savary

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 07:08:28 PM »
Hi, everyone:

I'm Jim Savary, and own a 1986 Aloha 8.5 sailing out of Cathedral Bluffs Yacht Club in Toronto. And, like all of us, looking forward to summer. Thanks, Keith, for setting this up.

Jim

Carpe Diem

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 07:16:56 AM »
Hi There!

We're Gary & Mary Lin MacDonald on Aloha 8.2 Carpe Diem, sailing out of the CFB Kingston Yacht Club, Kingston Ontario. (www.cfbkyc.com). In the 4 years we've had her, Carpe Diem got new sails,halyards,  lifelines, shrouds, furler and forestay.

"Money spent on boats is never wasted!".

We also have a website at:   http://home.ca.inter.net/~gkmd/sail/CarpeDiem.htm  with a bunch of sailing pictures & stuff. Hopefully I'll have alot more new stuff from this coming summer...

"Money spent on digital cameras is never wasted!"

Cheers! - 53 days to Launch...

Gary

mcycles

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 07:50:14 AM »
Hi I have 1974 aloha28 which i am restoring and sail out of port stanley Ont.  on lake erie. I started sailing about 3 years ago and just love it. I go by the name mcycles because before i discoverd sailing i road motorcycles.

Have a great summer sailing
Bill Hudson

Dan Sullivan

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 10:02:57 PM »
Hi

Dan and Barb Sullivan with our family sailing Assidius, our 1973 #8 Aloha 28 on the Chesapeake Bay.
Love the boat and have had the boat for nearly 20 years. Great to have an Aloha group to share
info. and ideas with. Have a great sailing season !!!