Author Topic: Swing bracket for LCD Radar Screen  (Read 14629 times)

Escape

Swing bracket for LCD Radar Screen
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
I noticed that Tim is looking for a swing bracket and I am looking for options there as well as I want to mount an LCD radar screen on one that could swing into the companionway from inside the cabin so that it can then be seen from the helm.  I'd like to mount it over the sink (on the opposite side from the compass) so that it could be read from inside the boat as well, when not swung into the companionway to face aft.  My local marine shop suggested a swing TV wall mount, but I haven't seen anything suitable along those lines.

Martin Hunt
Escape 8.2

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
    • Fuel Additives for corrosion and sludge control
Re: Swing bracket for LCD Radar Screen
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
Hi Martin,

What GPS model are you mounting?  Any luck so far?  I have the Garmin 4210 and it's too big for anything I've seen yet.  I may end up flush mounting.  I haven't figured out yet if I can connect to my notebook and link the two together.

Tim
"Beach House" 1983 Tartan 33

Escape

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »
Hi Tim,
What I'm hoping to mount is a Ratheon RL 70 radar screen.  I have the complete radar unit and screen but don't want to cut any more holes in the bulkhead, nor do I have an instrument pedistal to mount it on as I have a tiller, so a swing mount in the comapanionway would be ideal if I could find one of the right configuration.

Martin.

LHSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
I'll have to make some pics of the 2 swing brackets that rotate radar and laptop (my cheap chartplotter) into companionway.  The radar bracket is oeverkill for the application, but the laptop bracket with a plywood shelf works pretty well.  Pics when I can get them.

Escape

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
Thanks Larry, I'd appreciate it.

Martin.

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
Martin,
I’ve just purchased an A32; and the previous owner had fashioned a short hatch-board of sorts with a RADAR mounting on it.  When he wanted to move the monitor from inside to the boat to face the helm, he “simply” dropped in the board and screwed the monitor to it.  Not the most elegant solution I know, but it might do until you can find an appropriate pivoting unit.
Bill Hutton, BHYC, Spirit 1 (hull #15)
Bill Hutton

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
I found a bracket at West Marine in one of their older catalogues.  It's not listed on the site but I plan to call them and ask if I can still get it.  I will keep you posted and scan the page and post it if it is still available.

Cheers!

Tim

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
It happened that Genco Marine down on Queens Quay had a bracket that matched my needs.  It was much cheaper than the West Marine unit.  I think the original manufacturer has gone out of business and they are scarce.

Tim

Escape

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill and Tim. The drop-in method would work but it would be neater to find a suitable swing bracket.  Tim, was that what you found at Genco or was it some other configuration?
Martin.

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
I am not sure that I understand the question.  I have attached a pic of the bracket that Genco had.  They say the manufacturer is out of business.  I am not sure but I would check with West Marine.  This one is the large version and may be a bit big for your radar screen if it is the same one I found when I googled the model.

The base for mounting is 10 inches on this unit.

Cheers!

Tim

LHSmith

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:13:10 AM »
A couple of pics as promised:

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:16:50 AM »
The computer mount you are using there is the same one I found at Future Shop.  I worry that the arms do not lock and it will swing around when you are tacking or jibing etc etc.

Your GPS is the same as the unit I purchased.  I should have posted the part numbers from West Marine Catalogue.  They may still have it.

I am not in the water for another three weeks.  I am getting anxious.

Tim

LHSmith

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
The screws tighten enough to make the arms of the laptop bracket stay in place.  The other (black) bracket for the radar unit is overkill for the job IMHO. In both cases I would advise that you use 4200 with the mounting bolts.  I find a lot of drips making their way down the outside of the bulkhead after sneaking under the dodger.

Escape

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
Thanks for the photos Larry.  The first photo includes the same radar head I've got and is something to consider. 
Martin.

lazyjacks

• I'm the 2nd owner of a 1985 Aloha 27 hull#169
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
I believe that Joe Kaladay(sp) the owner of the stainless steel fabrication Shop at Brewer's Bruce & Johnson Marina in Branford CT  designed and built the 1st swing arms sold by West Marine years ago.  His phone # is 203-488-7039 & he'll build you anything you want or can dream up out of metal and his prices are reasonable.