Author Topic: Rudder Play  (Read 6499 times)

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
    • Fuel Additives for corrosion and sludge control
Rudder Play
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
I find that my rudder has alot of play in it side to side.  I am assuming that this is related to the bearings.  I am considering the stuffing box suggested in another thread but wanted to know if anyone has encountered this.  It is not slack in an up and down motion.

Thanks

Tim
"Beach House" 1983 Tartan 33

Bluejay

Re: Rudder Play
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
How much slop are you talking? Blue Jay's rudder has a "bit" of play, not more than 2-3 degrees though.

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
Probably the same.  I find it an annoyance when coming into port.  My autohelm has to adjust constantly too keep me on track.  I think it will be fine for the balance of the season but I am considering rebuilding it over the winter months.

Tim

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I was out yesterday and am finding that my rudder condition is getting worse.  Here is a stupid question.....
Is it at all possible that it could fall out of the whatchamacallit and end up at the bottom of the lake?

I have to check it out closer next time I get back to the marina.  I find the steering is off from center and I am constantly correcting it to go straight.  Not much good with the autohelm....

Thoughts?

Tim

tmack

• RYC
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi Tim,

Seems highly unlikely it would fall off, unless the clamp below water around the skeg were actually to fall off as well.  Does the rudder track off center when the tiller is on center or is what you are describing turbulence on the rudder created by the offset arrangement of the prop?  (Assuming this is your arrangement.)  Is this under sail or under motor or both? 

Tim

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »
The rudder tracks off center and is getting worse.  I am constantly correcting it.  If I held the tiller on center line, my boat would steer towards starboard.

It concerns me that it is progressing.

Tim

tmack

• RYC
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:17:34 AM »
Mine has a 3/16th pin through the tiller clamp around the rudder shaft.  It goes through the clamp and through the end of the shaft to prevent the tiller handle and rudder from mis-aligning.  I assume your's should too?

Tim

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
I will check this next time I am at the boat.

I figured it would be something like the pins we used to struggle with when our peddles skipped on our old bicycles.  How many here struggled with those crappy pins?

Thanks

Tim

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
You mean the ones that would sometimes come loose just when Alison Myers drove by in the back of her parents car and you, in a desperate bid to be noticed, stood up on the pedals grasping your high-rise handlebars and with a look of determination on your face lurch forward, skin your achillies tendon and land firmly on the crossbar of your bicycle. White faced you manage to look up and see Alison staring back at you with a mixture of mirth and disdain. Those pins?

Sawlty 

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Ahhhhh yes!

Alison....

those pins!