Author Topic: .2 liters of gasoline mixed with 50 liters of diesel.  (Read 4222 times)

EmeraldLady2

.2 liters of gasoline mixed with 50 liters of diesel.
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

.2 liters of gasoline was accidently added to my fuel tank (which was full of diesel at the time) and I am wondering if that little amount will damage my BMW D7 engine or will it be diluted enough not to make a difference. 

Has this happened to anyone?  Should I drain my tank?

Bluejay

Re: .2 liters of gasoline mixed with 50 liters of diesel.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, that is a 0.4% dilution. It will make your engine run a bit hotter perhaps but I don't think it will do anything bad to your engine. Some mechanics suggest (mistakenly) that gasoline added to diesel will clean the injector. Not reccomended, use diesel injector cleaner. If you are seriously concerned, add come cetane boost to your tank, to take the curse off.

Sawlty Dawg

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
It's your engine but personally I would drain the tank, replace the filters, refill the tank with fresh fuel, bleed the lines and thank my lucky stars I didn't run the engine before I realized my mistake.
Maybe I am over cautious but for $100 or so you can save yourself thousands, probably 10 to 15 thousand.

Sawlty

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
    • Fuel Additives for corrosion and sludge control
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
I would meet half way.  I doubt the fuel will hurt the engine.  I would just top up constantly to reduce the mixture ratio over time.  It is such a small amount that it is negligible.

Here is some more information.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question76677.html

I wouldn't worry about it.

Tim
"Beach House" 1983 Tartan 33

Aloha_float

• 2010 season...
    • Fuel Additives for corrosion and sludge control
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Taken from the post

"Placing Gasoline in a Diesel engine garners no damage unless one makes a habit of diluting the Diesel with a portion of Gasoline for long periods of time.

Diesel fuel acts as a lubricant for the fuel pump so the Gasoline will, over time, destroy any seals in said pump.

As for the engine. Diesel engines are built a lot tougher that Gasoline engines and therefore can take nearly any abuse one would subject it to.

The power/performance question....

Gasoline will not detonate properly (detonates prematurely) in a Diesel engine rendering the power output at next to nothing. Diesel in a Gas engine is actually not bad when done in a small ratio but straight Diesel will not burn properly in a Gas engine.

All in all, if you filled your Diesel tank with Gas, drove a bit and found that there was a power problem, you must drain the gas tank, refill with Diesel then prime the air intake (use WD 40 NOT Starting Fluid!) and start it up and drive away!

Forget that it ever happened but be sure to learn from your mistakes!"

Tim
"Beach House" 1983 Tartan 33

bluenoser

• 1981 Aloha 8.2 "Whisper" Hull #50
    • Sailing videos
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »
.2 liters of gas
50 liters of diesel
2 oz rum?

Just kidding. Your engine will be fine. I actually ran a higher ratio through a generator once and had no problems.
I've been very careful since, just to make sure ;)
Work is for people who don't go sailing.