Author Topic: A32 deck leaks  (Read 5839 times)

Realron

A32 deck leaks
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »
Is there a clever way of tracking down deck-leaks?  My 32 insists on collecting 3-6 inches of fresh (rain) water in her bilges, the source of which is a mystery.  I've considered using a vacuum cleaner as an air-pump to pressurize the interior---followed by soaping down of the cabin top etc and a subsequent bubble-hunt  Has anyone attempted this solution?  Mny tnx for any help/ideas.
Realron

Camelot 2

Re: A32 deck leaks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
While I don't have a 32, I believe she has a keel stepped mast.  A typical source of rain water in the bilge is a hole in the mast above the deck that leaks down inside the mast and into the bilge.

Just one thought anyway.

Good luck

Bill Hutton

• Aloha 34 #233
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
3 to 6 inches after a rain??   Sounds like too much to be coming in through the mast, air scoops on the stern, ports, etc.
I wonder if either the 2 cockpit hoses or the 2 scupper hoses under the cockpit have detatched or cracked?
That would cause a lot of water to be funnelled into your boat during a rain (mine are on their last legs and need replacing).
Please let us know what you find.
Bill Hutton - Avalon - A32
Bill Hutton

Realron

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
Hi Ken, hi Bill.....tnx for your responses.  The Mare is tethered to a buoy, on the east side of Vancouver Island---open to east and west winds & lotsa' rain at this time of year.  The mast, because of its length, was considered a culprit; I've re-booted the mast at deck level but now realize, I failed to plug those two structural "slots" which run the length of the mast, either side---small channels, of course, but at this time of year we get more rain than any flock of ducks could collectively pray for.  I'll plug those slots tomorow.  Bill, the hoses were considered and checked-out secure; I'm conviced they are not guilty this time.  From May to the end of September, the bilges are as dry as an Arabian grave but come "the rains" I have enough water in the bilge to raise gold-fish for the table. Come summer, I'll train a dock-hose on some of "the suspects" and report any conclusive findings, or, mysteries. Many tnx for your help.
Rw         

Bruce

• sailing Georgian Bay, on our A32 "OKAGA"
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
If water is leaking around staunchions, hull deck seam, etc I'd expect at least a trace of colour from where it contacts wood. I vote for the mast.  The 32 is not keel stepped.  The mast sits on a stringer over the bilge ( which I discovered when I was checking out the lightening grounding system).  The step is a shallow, square dish, about 1/4" deep.  On my boat, water found it's way down the mast, either from the top, during wind driven rain or from leaks around the mast boot and would sit in this dish, where it was absorbed into the abutting floor boards. I cut a channel across this dish to let the water drain into the bilge, away from my floorboards.    I vote for your mast.    Bruce
Bruce,  OKAGA, A32

Realron

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
Bruce, the mast as culprit makes a lot of sense.  Next calm day, I'll go up the mast looking for ingress points.  In the meantime, I might try towelling (is that a verb?) the base of the mast after having rendered the bilges dry.....this might help pin-point the water source which fortunately is more a puzzle than a threat.  Tnx for your imput.
Rw

bigikeoliver

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Hi Ron

The top of the mast actually has openings to the weather.    Take a look at the exploded parts diagram – the 2 red circles are opening about 5/8 of an inch wide, to give you an example of the size.

On my 32 the masthead light sits forward of the two openings.

Cheers
Ike

Realron

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
Ike, I suspect you've nailed the culprits; those holes and this island's penchant for rain suggests I might try raising goldfish in the bilges as a protein source.  Mny tnx for the diagram.
Rw

Tuulikki

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
I was looking for leaks in my 30 for a long time and in the end it was the cabin windows.  You can try drying the bilge out and then using a hose on one area at a time.

Realron

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
Mny tnx Tuulikki; I know the larger, aft port in the boat offers leakage which I'll attend soonest we get consistent sunshine; all-in-all, my boat appears to have more leaks than a pub's men's room.  Do all, or most, of the Aloha line offer leakage problems.  The predecessor to my Aloha was a 24-year-old C&C whose bilges were as dry soda crackers.  Tnx for the advice.
Rw